The sea takes

At Ras Kizimkazi, Zanzibar. There was a luxury hotel with pier once that burned down. This is left on the reef at ebb.

Specific Feedback Requested

Colour or B&W ?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Leica CL. Vario-Elmar 18-56

Perfect choice to go monochrome as it really focuses on the mood. The composition is excellent and the lighting really brings out the feel of the ocean bathed in the high southern sun. But there was something that I found disturbed my view and I couldn’t figure it out at first. It’s the haloing around all the foreground posts. It makes them feel almost as though they have been pasted or “photoshopped” onto the picture. It is a simple problem to deal with and would take you all of about three minutes to do so. In Photoshop just create a new layer and change the setting from “normal” to " darker colour". Then grab the clone tool (about 70%) and set it just beyond the halo and move the clone tool along the edge/halo . This will fill in the pixel gap that is causing the haloing without making any change to the darker posts.

2 Likes

And I know the culprit : - Resizing :wink:

Done :slight_smile:

B&W all the way for me. It really enhances the feeling and mood of ruins, a bit forlorn. Good one.

1 Like

B&W as well. I 'm just not fond of the color of the seaweed. I don’t think color is better but that the colors that are here are not optimal.

I can assure you that the greens are exactly like you will find on the reefs in the Indian ocean. Actually the loss of the colours of the reef was the thing that made me doubt the conversion.

Black and Whit for me too - Effective Darken mode with the Clone tool ( the reverse works well too using the Lighten mode - for “halos” around lighter objects ).
Only a thought - consired increasing contrast in the sky ?
Lovely conversion into B/W indeed!