Experiment!

Folks,

While the world of photography goes a head, I thought of using some old ways of making macro images. Using a 18-55 lens reverse at F11 and approx 35 mm focal length I made this image. I also had a 24 mm extension tube, which was strapped on, as my full frame cam would not take on the kit lens.
This was a magnification experiment, and thats a tiny parasite sitting on a “Gaudy Grasshopper”.

Am infact looking for a place from where I can buy a 35mm lens with manual apperture ring.
There is some motion blur/ shake, as it was done in natural light.
Is there a better way with a reversing the lens.

6DII, 18-55 reversed, 24 mm extension tube, F11 , Natural Light.

Balan Vinod

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Here is the image of the citter with with Tam 180

Balan, what an experiment! I am so glad that you included the grasshopper hanging onto the stem so we can see what you were shooting. To get in this close as you were doing with the first image, must have been a real challenge. I haven’t tried the reverse lens yet, but they do sell ring that attach the reversed lens to a another lens, like a 35mm. I have the Canon 1X-5X lens, and I am here to tell you, that is a challenge to get enough light, to manually focus (using a focusing rail), that I haven’t gone back to trying it in some years. I probably need to try it again, as I think I have grown in my photography some, and might be able to handle it better. You had good eyes to see the tiny parasite on the grasshopper!

Balan, you’ve taken on a major challenge. With modern lenses, adjusting the aperture on the reversed lens is hard. I may not understand your rig, but I’m wondering what your prime lens was, since it’s the ratio of the prime focal length to the reversed focal length that determines the magnification. (That assumes both lenses are focused at infinity.) The high mag view shows that red parasite quit well. Your view of the grasshopper also looks very good.