Old School Approach

Its a couple of weeks, that I have been attempting the old school approach of the reverse lens macro.
This is done with a 50mm reversed and 36mm of extention tubes.
The lighting is using a standard flash, and home made diffuser. Am not a great fan of artificial light though.

|Carrhotus Female Jumping Spider|

6DII, Zeiss 50mm Reversed, 36mm Extensiontube, F13.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

@balanvinod.com
1 Like

Wow, Balan, you really got down in his face on this one. You did a great job with the reversed lens setup. Love his cute little face. I have grown to love these little jumping spiders. Great details in his face and legs. I can see reflections in his eyes! Probably your camera and you capturing the photo. Well done!

Balan, this is a great shot and really good focus detail . I’ve done quite a lot of these shots using focus stacking but your shot is the best. Good job.
Wayne

Gotta love those eyes, Balan. Really great close-up with the detail in its hairs on its face and the reflections. I agree with @Shirley_Freeman , pretty sure I can see your camera and you. Nicely done.

1 Like

Looks good–a very fuzzy and colorful salticid. Comp and focus are excellent. Reversed old Pentax 50mm lenses are perfect for macro work. I used to use them mounted on bellows and with extension tubes. The old screw mount versions are ideal. The nice thing about old school macrophotography is that it is low cost and very rewarding…Jim

1 Like

Balan: It’s been a while since I’ve seen an image using a reversed lens. Back in the old NPN there was a guy named Danny Young who went by the screen name NZMacro who did some marvelous high mag work with a reversed 50mm. I’ve never tried it myself but I must say your results are pretty impressive. Terrific capture of a really neat subject. >=))>

Balan, this is a fine look at this fuzzy little spider. Back in the days when I used a bellows, it would manually stop the lens down with the turn of a lever. While I never used it in reverse, you could pull the lens mount off the rail and turn it around, then if you connect the bellows to the front of the lens you have a light tight connection and the ability to stop your lens down before you shoot.