StanAelurillus (Male)

Had made images last week ( the one that I posted) using two / three extension tubes on my 180 Tamron. I did get results, however, I did a rethink.This was because of the many images that I missed / messed

Tamron 180 with two/three extension tubes.
Cons:
Loss of light due to focal length
Loss of depth of field due to focal length, shooting at f13/16/ 18 etc
Reduced shutter speeds resulting shake, as I did not have a tripid thats 2 inches high :wink:
Pros:
Be able to shoot from fairly some distance away, without much disturbance of the subject.

This week I changed the approach, and set out to make images with Zeiss 50 mm, 36mm extension tubes and Raynox

Cons:
Had to get very close to the subject, as close as less than two inches.

Pros:
Had more light come in.
Better depth of field control and was able to shoot at 6.3/7.1/8/9
Faster shutter speeds with reduced shake.
Background blur / subject isolation.

I found even smaller spiders at about 1 mm in size. This spider could be around 2mm in size.
This is not the perfect technical setup, however please let know your thoughts, on making images of something as tiny as this.
They are a very active species, and I get a one hour window before the harsh light comes in.

6DII, Carl Zeis 50mm, 36mm Extn Tubes, Raynox DCR250
ISO 800, F9, 1/80

Balan Vinod

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great shot, Balan. He is a real beauty. Love the red on him. Taking photos of these tiny little guys are a challenge. I have enjoyed shooting handheld with my 100 mm L lens and the KX-800 twin flash with a homemade diffuser. Still, you have to deal with them being a bit skittish and jumping (hence, their name). I still have to crop down some after the shot. I haven’t tried shooting higher than 1:1 ratio. I do have the 1X - 5X lens of Canon’s, but with that I would need it on tripod and my focusing rail, and with these little guys, they don’t usually wait for me to set up that much before they are gone.

Balan, your careful work on these tiny subjects is amazing. I really like doing macro, but I would never have the patience to do such close work, even if I had the best of equipment, let alone get such impressive results as you do. Might only suggest a couple of crop options, but the super colors of the spider and soft light make for an impressive image.

Balan, shooting live insects at life size (1:1) is always a huge challenge from both a working distance and an amount of light perspective. It’s also true that what we learn from experience in conventional photography doesn’t always apply as you approach making images at life size. There’s quite a bit of information on the web about depth of field in macro photography. (Note that the macro part is critical.) Here’s a quote from the website (https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm), "If the subject occupies the same fraction of the image (constant magnification) for both a telephoto and a wide angle lens, the total depth of field is virtually constant with focal length! However, the big advantage that you do get with a shorter focal length lens (such as your 50 mm) is that it lets more light get to the chip due to an effect called pupil magnification. With longer lenses, such as a 100 or 180, this relates to the relative sizes of the front lens and the back lens.

The spider’s eyes and it’s colors are amazing. Cropping to square would work well. Congrats on getting so close.

Balan: Terrific effort rewarded nicely. Thanks also for sharing your techniques and the pros and cons. Many :+1::+1::+1::+1:>=))>