StanAelurillus

It took me some searching, and to identify a possible habitat., They live on the ground and on the grass upto 4 inches from the ground. They are as small as max 5 mm. They are very quick and always active.
I used 3 extention tubes on my 180 Tamron. Not a easy deal. Its just the beginning of the season.

6DII, 180 Tamron, 3 Ext, 800 ISO, 1/100 @ 6.3.
Balan Vinod

2 Likes

Wonderful shot of this little guy, Balan. I have not seen this particular jumping spider. Love his bright colors. Nice details of him. I can imagine try to do this with a 180 lens and 3 extension tubes. I think you did a great job capturing him. They are very tiny and can move quickly, like jump, as their name implies. I used to be afraid of them, but not anymore. They are about harmless, and if you get bit, from what I understand, it is about like a bee sting. Nothing serious.

Balan, the leading line of the leaf takes my eyes right to this spider’s eyes. They are amazing. Red, blue and purple, wow. The details in the eyes and the spider’s face are great. These spiders are so tiny that it takes the kind of magnification that you had with your 180 + extension tubes (greater than 1:1). A neat find, very well executed both in the field and in processing.

Thanks Mark. Yes this is too tiny and requires more than a 1:1 magnification. I even thought of a shorter focal length with raynox. But need some distance, which is a big challenge. The primarily reside on the ground, and getting close was destroying their habitat.
Balan Vinod

Balan: Great work to get the face sharp and a great illustration of the very limited DOF available at high magnifications. Marvelous image.>=))>

Just the fact of hanfheld a 180mm with 3 tubes it’s a remarkable feat, the composition and exposure is spot on.
Very very good shot.