The Banded Phintella

The banded phintella or phintella vitata, is a very tiny jumping spider, very colorful. Leaving some fruit garbage in your garden attracts flies and insects, and then comes the predators like this one.
While I have seen 3 different species of tiny jumpers, this one was the most colorful. I have also added a side view of the same individual.

6DII, 70-200 F4L, 12+24 Extn, Raynox 250, ISO 640, F20, 1/100 / Camera Mounted flash with Diffuser(DIY)

Balan Vinod

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

balanvinoddotcom
1 Like

Thats the colorful side of the same individual.

Balan Vinod

1 Like

Both excellent shots, Balan. I particularly like the composition of the first one, where it seems to be emerging from the dark. And fine focus on those eyes. Are you using extension tubes with the Raynox? I ask because I have the Raynox, but not the tubes. How does this affect the shot?

Mike…thanks for your kind words.
these are tiny tiny spiders, may be twice the size of a pin head. The extention tubes gives me a magnification on top of what raynox gives. With the naked eye spotting them is a huge challenge, and unless the gold shine is seen.

Balan Vinod

Balan, I am really impressed with this shot, especially after reading what you had to say about it’s size. The details are wonderful, nice composition and color, and those eyes, oh wow, really nice. Great job spotting him and capturing this shot. Thank you for sharing the side view as well, to allow us to see the colors on his back. Beautiful!

Yay for tiny spiders. If it’s eating a fruit fly or similar, it is a tiny one indeed.

Great detail and action with the snacking photo. They hardly sit still so kudos for your patience. The razor thin DOF is another challenge you handled perfectly. No complaints.

Fantastic!! It’s amazing to get such a good capture of a tiny subject! The angle of view on the first image emphasizes the story so well.

Wow, that’s impressive magnification. It opens up a whole new world!

Balan, the details in the spider’s front and it’s prey show very well here. Keeping the green background behind the spider was important. This is very well executed and seen.