Eye of the Dragon

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Inclusion in Sandstone, Point Lobos SNR.
I am always on the lookout for interesting close up images. I have not been able to make out the composition of this inclusion. I am assuming that the colors came from the inclusion itself and not later deposits as there were no other similar deposits on the surrounding rocks. There are also specks of red imbedded in the sandstone formation.

Technical Details

Canon 5DmkII, EF 100/2.8 L Macro
ISO 800, f/8, 1/250 sec.

A really neat find here, Paul. Hard to imagine how this brilliantly colored configuration came to be. Regardless, it definitely deserved the up close portraiture here… :sunglasses:

Wow, this looks like a painted face mask. Red rocks usually mean oxidized iron (e.g. rust). The geology behind getting such a thin layer could be interesting.

When I first saw it it seemed like an easter egg. It looks such a perfect shape. I love the colors and the aesthetics of the composition with the space between the rock and the surrounding sand. It provides a sense of depth and gives the rock prominence. I also like how the sand seems to almost glow or sparkle around. I also like the little bright rock at the bottom right and I think if it was a little larger and maybe if you had another one on the other side it would have added interest to the picture. Really nice find.

Wonderful! Could the red stuff be lichen? There is some amazing red lichen on the trees down there.

Paul, Mark, Tamar and Diane,
Thank you for the feedback.

Paul: Surely a terrific find and a fine capture. Really good title as well. :+1: :+1:>=))>

This is a fascinating rock Paul. The color contrast between the “eye” and the dragon is amazing. Nice find, and nice image.