Eyes on the Prize

Image:

Description:

Juniper berries, which are the seed cones of the red cedar tree are highly sought after by cedar waxwings. Very windy and shady conditions provided challenges for getting a reasonable image of these waxwings. I have several shots with a berry in the mouth, but there was not a lot of light to help with the autofocus.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Z9 200-400mm f4 at 380mm (1/640th sec. at F5.6 ISO 2000) Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Shadows & Highlights, Crop for comp…

1 Like

These guys are on my list. I often see them from the kayak foraging on the edges of ponds and rivers. Just need to sit still and wait!

This looks like a challenge to me. Lots of branches and a bird that sort of blends with the background, but you pulled off something worth looking it. It won’t win prizes, but I like the environment a lot and the fact that you’ve got those waxy tail feathers on display, too. Crop looks ok and the shadows are lifted as much as I think they will take without the black mask looking weird.

1 Like

I love the pose, Jim, and the image quality is very good for the low light conditions.

1 Like

A wonderful image in challenging conditions, Jim. Waxwings are one of my favorite birds to photograph when feeding like this. Nicely done.

1 Like

HI Jim
I am guessing you tried to focus on the Waxwing head, with animal tracking? I have had to use single point when trying to make focus inside a tree. Well it is the outcome that matters and this is a nice looking Waxwing hunting for meal. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like