The Cedar Waxwings are back!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Or at least back to the only place where I manage to find them, in a Hawthorn. It’s a frustratingly busy setting, with most of them behind branches. I’ve been shooting them every fall since discovering them in 2018, but missed the last 2 years so making up for lost opportunities. There is about a 3-5 day window from the time they start working on the tree until they completely pick it clean. And I’m very happy to now have eye AF and 20 fps.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 7.52.57 PM

Global Shadows and Highlights in LR and some BG cleanup in PS. Cropped to about 60% of the original frame.

4 Likes

Hi Diane, Love the pose you caught and the bird is sharp from head to tail. A real pleasure to view. The out of focus berries are a minor distraction and I would think about taking out the one small red blob coming behind the upper right of the bird. Those are minor nits though to a very fine capture.

Great pose with the berry and the detail in the bird is excellent. I’m always on the lookout for shots like this, so I’m jealous. My preference would be to see if the out of focus elements could be removed.

Excellent, Diane. I really like that pose and the shadow on the bird adds a lot for me. I agree with the first Allen about removing the out of focus berry behind the neck. The other ones don’t particularly bother me.

HI Diane
Happy hunting with the Waxwings, great shoot with the Barry in the beak. I thought the under side of the Cedar Waxwing could use a little more contrast and a bust in the browns and yellows. What do you think?
Peter

Thanks, @Allen_Sparks, @Allen_Brooks, @Dennis_Plank and @peter! I like the detail Peter brought out in the underside. I did that to some extent, but more looks better.

Just now seeing this and it’s just beautiful. The deatils are good and that head turn with the beery on full display really pops. I love the whimsical,OOF background and that about half the berries are in focus and half are out of focus. Terrific loook at the underside of this bird too.

Thanks, @David_Haynes – I’m heading back out today. I have a few more days before they clean off the tree and move on to backyard persimmons and vineyard dregs.

HI Diane
Thank you for the comment.
Peter