The last chance for a Cedar Waxwing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was the last day I shot these guys – a couple of hours after I shot this one they had cleaned off the tree. I like what I can get when the tree is almost cleaned because there will be a few chances at a subtly detailed background, as I managed to get here, instead of a riot of berries. This year there were fewer with the red wax markings on the wings, which are presumably the more mature ones.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 2.21.11 PM

Not much done in LR – shadows brought up a little. Into PS for a slight crop for composition, some edge cleanup and Topaz denoise – hardy needed for this size.

5 Likes

Nice catch Diane with a great look at this beauty from the backside. Well composed with the berry in mouth and others out in front on the stem. The BG is complimentary as you state. I notice shadows on the bird but I don’t find them particularly distracting. Well seen and taken.

Thanks, @Allen_Sparks! If the BG was clear sky I wouldn’t like the shadows, but here I think they add something – they are very soft and mimic the BG OOF limbs, which account for them.

One of your best from the Waxwings this year, Diane. I really love the pose and the stem on the berry is a nice touch, but what really works is the cluster of berries and the nicely out of focus background with just enough structure to indicate branches without being at all distracting. The slight shadow pattern on the bird from out of sight foreground branches enhances rather than detracts. A gorgeous image.

Very nice and with excellent details and pose. The shadows on the bird are soft and do not seem to cause an issue with the comp. Hopefully, you will be able to find more trees with fruit for more shots. I like this one as presented…Jim

Well what a run you had at them this year. You must be thrilled with what you were able to capture and what a way to finish off the series. Well done, Diane!

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Jim_Zablotny and @David_Haynes! After missing their short season the last 2 years, I got enough good images this year to make me greedy for next year. I never see them anywhere else but on this tree, for a 2 week period – and with fickle schedules each day, as the flock moves around.