Another Cedar Waxwing

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A little bit of a unique pose here – it lasted about 0.4 seconds.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 8.33.56 PM

Shadows and Highlights sliders in LR. Some minor BG retouching in PS. Slight crop from the right side.

1 Like

Oh yes! That’s a beautiful angled pose it’s giving you and you have great focus on the whole bird. It’s surrounded by berries, but I wonder if the stomach is quite full already. Crop a bit from the right? No, it’s wonderful as is.

The best one yet, Diane. I love the pose and having the bird in a sea of berries is very effective.

The pose, colors and details are amazing. It almost look like a wide-angle shot, did you blur part of the image?? Either way, a really nice image! Cheers, Hans

Maybe your best look at the waxwing yet. Well done; no nits from me.

Hi Diane, love the pose and position of the waxwing. Love the view of the sleek head and body with the yellow tail tip. Setting reminds me of a wave with berries mixed in. Nicely done!

Oh man am I ever turning green. Super moment captured so well. They sure do stuff themselves don’t they?

Terrific, Diane.

Many thanks, @Mike_Friel, @Dennis_Plank, @Hans_Overduin, @Allen_Brooks, @Allen_Sparks, @Kris_Smith and @Don_Peters! The berries came out too pale – not going to do a RP but visualize them LIPSTICK RED. I probably lost saturation by lowering contrast on a sunny day.

Stay tuned for a few more…

Unique pose for sure, Diane. Love the colors too! Am I seeing a small bug in the Waxing’s mouth along with the berry? Incredible shot!

I had to open it up to the larger image to get my head around it. Well done and a unique pose. Looking forward to seeing more, Diane.

Cheers,
David

Thanks, @linda_mellor and @David_Bostock! Linda, that’s the dried-up blossom remnant on the berry. I thought about removing it. I had assumed the toss was to orient the berry so that rough part went down last, but from seeing many tosses this year, with 20 fps, not so. It’s just to get the berry on the back of the tongue, which they use to shove the whole thing down their gullet. That often seems to be difficult and it’s not terribly uncommon that they choke it back up and toss it again.

1 Like

And thanks @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks for the EP – what a delightful surprise! These birds put on a good show for me this year.

1 Like

Diane: very easy to see why this got an EP. Well done! Richard

Very late to the party here as I have been out of town on vacation but I had to chime in on the beauty. The position and pose of the bird s the best yet in this series. And wow, what a collection of berries to feast on. Add the open beak taking in a full berry, a great look at the back feathers and yellow tips and you have a winner here.

Great pose and timing on this one! I bet it was a feed fest with all ties berries!

Thanks, @Richard_Sandor, @David_Haynes and @Kurt_Bowman! I have a few more to post after Christmas – have myself chained to the kitchen until then.

1 Like

I can’t contribute anything that hasn’t already been said. Spectacular moment performed by an impossibly cool looking bird.

Thanks, @Dave_Douglass!

Amazing photo and very unique positioning of the bird! I think the colors work really well. My only suggestion would be to try cropping it a bit on the right side, perhaps were the four berries are clustered together, which may highlight the bird more and make the bokeh more prominent.