Waxwing Gorging

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out in the backyard looking for bird subject matter when a flock of cedar waxwings came into our manzanita tree and started having a feeding frenzy eating the berries. This was my favorite of the shots I got mid berry gobble. I am always happy to see these stunningly handsome birds on the rare occasion that I see them.

Specific Feedback

I am always interested in getting the cropping right. Yeah? I cloned out a few little environmental distractions.

Technical Details

Z9, 180-600 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, monopod, 1/2000th, f 9.0, 1260mm, ISO 9000, cropped to 2622 x 2933

2 Likes

Dave, I love this hungry fellow or maybe gal-- the chin feathers don’t look very dark. The sharpness of the feathers is spot on. I do find the bright branches in the ULC a bit distracting. Thanks for capturing this backyard visitor.

Hi Dave, always love seeing these photogenic birds. Catching one with a good view of the face and a berry is terrific. Details on the bird look quite nice. I find the surroundings to be interesting and rather complimentary especially since this is a tree I am not familiar with. Burning down or replacing the ULC may help but that is minor as Barbara indicates. Well done.

Okay, guys. How does this version look?

The upper left area was drawing my attention just enough to be a distraction, but the rework corrects that. Looks great.

Repost looks good to me Dave with a drop off in sharpness in the ULC for more distant leaves in the BG.