Face wash

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What is the initial response?

Where is your eye drawn to?

Does the photo hold your attention, if so why? And if not why?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Brown bear photographed feeding in an Alaskan river.

Technical Details

Nikon z8, nikon z 70-200 2.8
200mm 1/1250s, f/4.5, iso 1800

Edited in lightroom, denoise applied
Graphite profile.

Specific Feedback

Honestly feedback on all 4 would be awesome. I really love this photo so I imagine I’m blinded by that to some extent.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Who doesn’t like to splash cold water in their face in the morning?

Seriously, I think this is quite wonderful! The splash stands out so nicely and the wet fur is so sharp and well-defined. The bit of water between his legs is a nice surprise as the splash fits both his legs so well.

My only suggestion would be to add a bit more canvas at the top, but that’s certainly not a big deal. Delighted I got to enjoy this!!

Wow! I love the B&W treatment of this one. What a great shot. Nice timing to get the water splash and the dripping stream. A bit more space on top would help, but not a deal breaker at all.

Awesome image. B/W: perfect. SS: Great; stops the action (water drops and paw). Sharpness: Just right. Title: Fine. Composition: Perhaps a little more on top. What I like most is the eye carefully and intently focused on you. It is especially apparent in the largest view. Wonder if it had just eaten a fish and was cleaning up a little.

Wonderful shot! The B&W treatment is perfect here. The splashing water and bear’s face, paw position, and fading-out water in the BG is just excellent.
It’s always tempting to zoom in tightly on a great subject, but more room on top would improve this great shot even further.
Very well-done!