Head Shake

What technical feedback would you like if any? All feedback is very welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Again, all feedback is welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Equipment: Nikon D51, Lens Nikkor 500mm F/5.6 On a RRS Tripod with Wimberly Gimbal head. Taken at 500 mm, ISO 2500, 1/3200 sec and F/5.6

First time to Alaska to photograph the Coastal Brown Bears…wonderful trip. Hopefully not the last time we will be able to spend quality time with these marvelous animals. This was a sow snorkeling for salmon to feed her two hungry and very animated cubs. It was her habit to often shake the water from her fur.
ig cheryl_a_kuhl
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
4 Likes

Great shot Cheryl, you have caught the water spray perfectly, it shows the motion while the nose is still sharp. The low angle to the water also makes for a really interesting perspective.

Cheryl,

This is the first time that I am observing water drops and bear drool frozen with the camera. Awesome…Jim

Wow Cheryl. This is truly awsome! I love that piece of drool that makes a half circle :grinning:

Love it. While not a shot that I haven’t seen in the past, this one is still superb. Great action and choice of settings to make this really sing!

@Ryan_H @Carol_Nichols @Jim_Zablotny @Keith_Bauer Thanks all for your kind words and support, it is appreciated. The photo was shot fast to freeze the action, thus the drool. As I am sure you know, is a constant struggle to keep photos fresh and from being cliche… If I can impose…are these any better…fresher?

I much prefer your original post, but all three are great.

The second one reminds me of an ear mounted spirograph. I have done this type of shot with my dogs after swimming and find that the effect of light on water droplets produces some highly intriguing images. All three are excellent, but I like 1 followed by 2 the best. Lots of fun in viewing these images…Jim

Oh wow, Cheryl, they are all three great shots. Amazing. And seeing the different shots shows what changing the shutter speed can produce for results. Well done.

I think all three are great. I hope my comment wasn’t taken in a negative way, it was just to say that seeing a bear shaking it’s head in the water is a pretty common shot. Still, a wonderful shot, just not an uncommon shot to see. I don’t think I could choose a favorite from the 3. All big thumbs up.

Great setting and wonderful capture ! I’m sure you can get N no. of variations here .
1st and 3rd are my favorites.
I may darken the foreground water.

Three Cheers !

Great capture (series for that matter), Cheryl! Exposure and shutter speed were perfect! I’m curious as to the location where you got these shots. Also, the very low perspective makes me wonder how you got so low. At first I guessed you were on a boat but then saw that you used a tripod so I’m now guessing that you set up low on a beach nearby. Coincidentally, I recently got a series of shots of a young sow shaking the water off also. The difference was that I got a side view of the whole bear. I’ll probably post them here or in the showcase, soon. Excellent job and thanks for sharing! :+1:t2:

These are awesome. What a cool experience. Coastal bears are either first or second on my bucket list. I also prefer the first one. That drool semi-circle and the clearer view of the head without an intruding wave put it over the top for me.