2020 Yearly Editors Picks

Originally published at: https://www.naturephotographers.network/2020-yearly-editors-picks/

2020 will go down as one of the most challenging of our time. This year has been filled with tragedy and anxiety. We were happy to hear that NPN was a place of respite for many, somewhere to escape the never-ending barrage of bad news and focus only on nature photography.

Even though nearly everyone was stuck at home, you all managed to flex your creative muscles and have shown what is possible even without travel. Thank you all for the inspiration and positivity in the face of a global pandemic.

This year I couldn’t help myself to add a new category: NPN Nature Photographer of the Year! Scroll to the bottom to see who was awarded this year…

Thank you to all the moderators for their tireless work picking the Editors Pick each week and helping me make the final selections for the Yearly Editors Picks; without further ado, here are the 2020 awards!

Avian

Bald Eagle NPN 2

First Place

Bald Eagle Lift Off by Allen Sparks (@Allen_Sparks)
Comment on this photo

20200810 194342DSC 2622 Bewerkt Bewerkt

Second Place

Close Moorhen of the 3rd Kind by Hans Overduin (@Hans_Overduin)
Comment on this photo

DSC 8598 2 Edit

Third Place

Contact! by Mark Muller (@Mark_Muller)
Comment on this photo

Flora

Purple Iris

First Place

Purple Iris by Kathy Snead (@Kathy_Snead)
Comment on this photo

IMG 2472 Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit Edit

Second Place

Spray by Ian Wolfenden (@Ian_Wolfenden)
Comment on this photo

Elie Hybrid Tea

Third Place

Fuji Hybrid Tea by Larry Lynch (@Larry_Lynch)
Comment on this photo

Human & Fauna

9I0A4366 3

First Place

Southern Bald Ibis by Marc Brawer (@Marc_Brawer)
Comment on this photo

5 Jenaya Launstein Left Behind 1920

Second Place

Left Behind by Jenaya Launstein (@Jenaya_Launstein)
Comment on this photo

Murrka Copy

Third Place

Guard Cat by David Schoen (@David_Schoen)
Comment on this photo

Landscape

Startle V2 Cc

First Place

Startle by Eugene Theron (@Eugene_Theron)
Comment on this photo

Lassen 100320 0351 V2

Second Place

Ghosts of Forests Past by Bonnie Lampley (@Bonnie_Lampley)
Comment on this photo

Snow And Fog Arches NP

Third Place

Snow and Fog Arches NP by Ed McGuirk (@Ed_Mcguirk)
Comment on this photo

Macro

Zoanthids

First Place

Zoanthids by Jim Zablotny (@Jim_Zablotny)
Comment on this photo

Carolina Mantis With Prey

Second Place

Carolina Mantis with prey by Mark Seaver (@Mark_Seaver)
Comment on this photo

MG 7969 NPN INST

Third Place

Butterfly Canvas by Balan Vinod (@Balan_Vinod)
Comment on this photo

Wildlife

4e369d3c0d784a5fae0596d2ccffe3295db87aa4

First Place

Tayra by Max Waugh (@Max_Waugh)
Comment on this photo

Cde49ae956b7cbe78a0c26afd247790461083e14 2 690x424

Second Place

Head Shake by Cheryl Kuhl (@cheryl1)
Comment on this photo

089bd494bec0a9bd609acc967e64db1c7329c62b 2 690x388

Third Place

Yellowstone Coyote by Jenaya Launstein (@Jenaya_Launstein)
Comment on this photo

Weekly Challenge

DSC 0292 Psd1 1200px

First Place

The Lone Cirro by Igor Doncov (@Igor_Doncov)
Comment on this photo

DSC 9455 Edit 5 24 20 2 Blue Tint

Second Place

Hope Rising by Mark Muller (@Mark_Muller)
Comment on this photo

DPP 0129

Third Place

Captured by the Wind by Patricia Brundage (@Patricia_Brundage)
Comment on this photo

Nature Photographer of the Year

Bonnie Lampley

Bonnie’s incredible body of work this year is nothing short of astounding. She embodies the essence of creative nature photography that we encourage here at NPN.

View Bonnie’s Portfolio

6 Likes

Huge congratulations to all!!! Keep up the strong work!!! Cheers to 2021, a new year and a new start!

2 Likes

Congratulations to all the yearly Editor’s Pick winners. This is a superb selection of images.

1 Like

Absolutely fantastic work by our NPN community!! Congratulations to all, winners or otherwise.

@Bonnie_Lampley is a fitting choice for Nature Photographer of the Year! Every time I see her images I am blown away by her consistent creativity and vision. I look forward to everything she does in 2021!

3 Likes

Congrats to all the winners. Beautiful images, each and every one.
And cheers to all the moderators, contributors, and especially David Kingham for their tireless and sometime thankless work in supporting this community and keeping NPN alive.
Happy New Year.

2 Likes

Congratulation to all winners, and thanks to the editors and moderators for all their work ! Humbled to have one my images chosen again. Wishing all a good 2021 ! Cheers, Hans

2 Likes

Thanks to the mods for the selection, and big congratulations to Bonnie and everyone who was honored. Finally, massive thanks to this community for providing inspiration (and some much-needed escapism) this year.

Max

3 Likes

Much thanks for selecting my image and a big thank you to the moderators and editors for making NPN a great community! Congratulations to all those mentioned above - great images!

Allen

1 Like

Congratulations to all of the members who had images selected for 2020. Also congratulations to all of the members who participated and submitted images this year. That’s what NPN is all about. Great to see so much lovely work. Selecting the final images in a category is a challenging task.

Happy New Year.

1 Like

First, congratulations to everyone who was recognized for their work this year. The quality of your work is top notch. And thanks to everyone who wasn’t formally recognized, for your participation in NPN - that’s what makes it work! Well, of course, along with the moderators who work behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.

Second - wow, I’m honored to be recognized by you all. I really value the input I receive at NPN, as there are so many thoughtful and insightful folks here. And I’m happy to have an appreciative audience!

1 Like

Thank you and congratulations to the winners. The quality and artistry of the images displayed at NPN are awesome and am sure the moderators and editors did not have an easy task in their selections. Bonnie–excellent photos and congratulations for your work–Impressive! May everyone experience good light, outstanding subjects, and a safe and healthy New Year…Jim

2 Likes

Congratulations to all the winners and to those who posted such wonderful images throughout the year. I am honored to be among them. NPN has been a source of inspiration and has taught me skills with their thoughtful and gentle critiques. The growth of the site as a worldwide source of photographic knowledge has been amazing. Thanks to all .

1 Like

Wow, what a set of images, they are excellent and very inspiring. Congrats to all of you! @Bonnie_Lampley , very well deserved.

2 Likes

Thank you, and my congratulations to all the winners. Despite a very difficult year to be trying to do nature photography, the members at NPN have once again risen to the occasion, this is an outstanding collection of images. And thank you to @David_Kingham for all his hard work to keep NPN an amazing place to share our images . And to all the NPN moderators and members who share their work and thoughts here.

2 Likes

Big time congratulations to all the winners and talented participants, who make NPN a great platform to display and nurture the talent. I feel privileged to be part of this buzzing community !
With best wishes for a Happy New Year!

2 Likes

Congrats to everyone who was featured in this collection of images. The level of the work is truly outstanding. I must give a special shout out to @Bonnie_Lampley - you are so creative in your work and produce some beautiful artworks. Thoroughly deserved!

Secondly, I’m a bit speechles (a rare thing for words to stop falling out my mouth). I am genuinely humbled that one of my images was selected. So thank you!

As a shoutout to the site. @David_Kingham you have really done a stellar job of creating this community where we can post images for critique and get such amazing insight from a wide range of photographers. All with different unique visions. Keep it going and hopefully it will continue to grow!

Eugene

4 Likes

Congratulations to all of the winners and thank you to everyone here at NPN who contribute to the growth of us all. Also, a big thank you again to @David_Kingham for keeping NPN such a vibrant and welcoming site for a diverse and talented group of photographers.

1 Like

Huge congratulations to all winners, such a great selection this year. Very well deserved. Congratulations, @Bonnie_Lampley. I am not surprised at all; your work has spoken itself time and time again.

I am thankful every day for this place. It has proven to be a source of inspiration every time I spend some time here. @David_Kingham, thanks for your work to keep this site up.

Happy New Year, every one!

1 Like

Congratulations everybody and especially Bonnie!

1 Like

Congratulations @Bonnie_Lampley! “Ghosts of Forests” is so beautiful as are your other images!
Congrats to all those on this list! And thanks to everyone at NPN for your comments and critiques through the year. I am surprised and honored to be included in this year’s picks, so thank you to the Moderators and Editors and @David_Kingham for all your hard work devoted to this site.

2 Likes