Butterfly Canvas

For a change I opened up the lens from a little far off from the subject. Morning light was just about waking up this tawny coaster butterfly, sleeping among the dry grass

6D2, 180 Tamron, ISO400, 4.5, 1/500

Balan Vinod

3 Likes

Balan, I just love his little head turn towards you. I don’t think I have ever seen one do that before. I do wish it was more frame filling though. If you have the pixels to spare, I think this would be a more over the top image cropped in maybe as much as 40-50%. The background is nicely out of focus, and so he stands out against it well. A really nice shot.

Nicely done. I really like that back ground. As is butterfly just feels a little too close to center. I might move it a bit closer, not much but a bit into one corner or the other.
I could also see a crop if you wanted to. I am not sure how much but some.
We are months away from seeing butterflies around here, near Vancouver BC. so seeing your nice photo was refreshing.

Balan, thought I’d already commented on this…but the software says no…

I like your minimalist view here. The butterfly’s wing colors coordinate very well with the background. the subtle changes in the background on the left add some extra interest in terms of where you found this critter. I think you could also crop this to 4x5 or even square if you wanted more emphasis on the bf and less on it’s surroundings. I do think it neat to have the surroundings playing such a strong role even as they’re nicely oof.

Balan: I like this very much as is but this is a capture that gives you a lot of cropping options. For me the minimalist approach is very appealing and I especially like the BG. Well seen and captured. >=))>