Monach Butterfly

The monach’s are migrating through and I have had several visiting our flower gardens.

Specific Feedback Requested

Basic thoughts on my photo. Composition, sharpness, what I could do to improve.

Technical Details

This was actually taken with my Tamron 150-600mm, set at 500mm. f6.3, 1/2000, ISO set on AUTO , showing 2500. Processed through Lightroom and Topaz DeNoise.

A butterfly in flight isn’t something we see every day!! Wonderful catch! I’m wondering if more canvas on both sides would be good – it feels a bit crowded and the strong vertical doesn’t quite fit the subject for me. I wonder also about the four BG flowers – their color is lovely but they compete a bit with the butterfly and the main flower. A bit of lowering of saturation for them??

Terry, I’m so glad that the Monarchs are passing through and stopping by for a visit at your garden. I don’t think I have ever seen one caught in the position/angle that you captured this one. @Diane_Miller is right, isn’t something we see every day nor have the opportunity to capture a shot of one. I agree with Diane that it does feel a bit tight since he is in motion. I would like more room on the right anyway to give him space to “fly”. Still, a great shot and I would be pleased to call it mine.

Thank you for your feedback. I will work on the crop.

Thank you for your feedback, I will work on the crop

1 Like

Very eye catching-butterfly and flower, but I also like the overall colorfulness of the image. I would agree with a wider crop, especially if the color is there. Well captured!

Thank you.