Monarch Meets Flower

I realize trhis is certainly not a unique image BUT any feedback to improve is always welcome!!

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

1 Like

Paul, it may not be unique, but it is an enjoyable image. I love the bright colors of the flowers and the butterfly. I am not able to view it in the larger view, so unable to see the details very well. It also helps if you can provide information like camera settings, lens used, etc.

For composition I do like the square crop, but for my taste I would prefer more room on the right side giving the butterfly room to “move” and maybe less on the left if you keep it at a square crop. You have a few tips of flowers at the bottom that pulls my eye down away from the lovely subject, but, cropping to remove them would put the butterfly too close to the bottom edge, I think. You might can clone them out, or calm the brightness of them and see how that works. You didn’t mention if you cropped this, so it might be that you have more of the flowers that are creeping into the bottom edge, and so could include more of them. Just something to think about.

Thanks so very much for all of your detailed feedback! I think it is a good idea to somehow alter the flowers at the bottom :smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

Paul: I’ll second what Shirley said. The colors are especially pleasing. I also like that you have good sharpness over the entire wing structure. Did you use a small sensor camera? Keep your posts coming! >=))>

Thanks so very much!!
camera- Canon 80D

Paul, the bright, strong colors are very pleasing and the square crop fits the scene well. It’s a fine catch on this Monarch. When I look at the larger view, it looks like there’s just a touch of softness in the wingtips. That’s not a problem in a small image, but will become apparent in a large version. There’s a strong white halo along the antennae pointing toward the lower right corner. That’s most likely an artifact of too much “clarity”, also called micro-contrast.

Thanks so very much for all the feedback ! Could u plz explain a bit more about micro contrast? Is that an artifact from excessive sharpening? Thanks!