Monarch II

Here’s another from shortly after my last Monarch shot. After the butterfly bush, he flew around the corner of the deck and landed on this appropriately colored flower.

I initially cropped this to vertical from a horizontal frame, but I also liked the horizontal, although it may have too much empty space. I’m interested to hear what you all have to say.

7DII, 100-400 @ 300
f/5.6, 1/40s, ISO100
I blurred the background further and cloned out some dead flowers and stray leaves from the bottom right.

1 Like

Craig, I was liking the vertical very much, and then looked at the horizonal, and like it too. I think though, of the two, I prefer the vertical. I like how the tip of his wing is pointed at the top left corner, and how the flower is aimed more the right corner. Less empty space too. Looks like you have nice details and rich colors, and it is a bonus that the flower orange, picking up the color of the BF. On my screen it looks just a tad dark. See what others have to say. Lovely smooth BG to make him stand out. Nice shot.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman! As I think about it more, I like the vertical more as well.

1 Like

Craig, the mix of similar colors here is terrific and adds a lot to the view. I prefer the vertical, but do like the negative space in the horizontal, so I’ll suggest that you might try a square crop with the bf somewhat right in the frame.

Hi, Craig. I prefer the second shot with a bit more space, but they are both excellent. Really nice colors and detail. Wish I could get my Monarchs to sit still like this!

Craig, I like the vertical better as it reduces negative space and the composition works better for the angled flower. Colors look great. Agree with Shirley on blacks that need a little bit of detail. The butterfly looks a little soft, may be a touch of sharpening can help.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, @terryb and @ravi!