Two Monarchs

I was able to get out and shoot a couple of Monarchs the other day. I’m going to post 2 shots that I liked fairly well, and they are very much similar, and I would appreciate your comments and critiques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I shot this with Canon 7D Mark II, Canon 100-400mm L lens, HH, set at manual (except ISO was auto), f6.3, 1/2000, ISO 640 for both shots. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

I like them both Shirley. But am tending towards the first one, mainly because it shows more of the wings on each of the butterflies. The OOF background, along with the soft yellow/greens really help to make the BF pop. Glad you had some time to be out in the fall splendor. Nicely seen and captured.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

I like the first one as the comp is fairly stronger than the second. All this needs is to adjust the saturation of yellows down a hair. They look too strong on my monitor as my only nit. Otherwise, an excellent photo…Jim

1 Like

Shirley: The first for me for sure because of the better view of the wings and also more head detail on both butterflies. I would also smooth out the OOF leaves on the right side and crop a little from the right before printing large. Great capture. >=))>

1 Like

Shirley, what a treat to get two in the same shot this late in the season. I vote for #1 because of the separation between the two BFs. It’s also good because the one on the left looks like it’s in flight. Bill’s crop and reduction improve things a bit. If you’re going to print, make sure that your crop is a “standard” size, 8.5 x 11 or 4 x 5. It is a beauty.

1 Like

Eye catching shots for sure. Great colors and soft background; nice detail; great setting and comp. I’d be happy with either shot, but I’d vote for the first as well. I think the second one would be better with only the right sided butterfly as the other one is more of a distraction giving its position. Also, the flowers along the left border on the first one is a plus.

1 Like

Glad you were able to get out and shoot a bit, Shirley. I, too like the first shot best Very eye-catching yet soft yellows, oranges, and greens, and nice positions of the butterflies. Well done.

1 Like

I absolutely like the first one too, Shirley, because of more visibility of wings and heads. Gorgeous warm colours and good control of the sunlight. Would love to see these butterflies some time myself.

grt, Ingrid.

1 Like