Monarch Butterfly Feeding

A Monarch Butterfly feeding at Dixon Gallery & Gardens

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/All, interested by any thoughts about the composition.

Any pertinent technical details:

Olympus OMD EM1 Mk II Olympus f4.0 300mm
1/2000 f4.0 ISO 400

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Michael, you’ve got excellent detail in the Monarch and it’s perch. The angle of the bloom stalk works well and the background is nicely out of focus (oof). I think you could crop this to square, losing the oof area on the left, which would let the Monarch grab even more attention.

Lovely image - excellent detail, complimentary colours and nice BG.
Fine as is, but I’d personally move the butterfly to the left to avoid all that dead space. Mark’s idea of a square-ish crop would work fine. we’re never bound by “rules of thirds” or " standard" crops.
Well-done!
Sandy

Michael: I love the subject and perch and your plane of focus looks perfect. Here’s what a crop would look like. Good find and a fine capture. >=))>

Hi Michael,

Monarchs provide some ideal, contrasty patterns for focusing and you nailed it. Square crop as suggested is perfect :beers:…Jim

The square crop works really well for this fine image. As for the image itself, as Jim said, you nailed it!

Everything looks nice and sharp, Michael and I like the background. the angle of the flower stem and the butterfly are great. I’m thinking there’s a bit more negative space on the left than the image needs. I think you could crop this to almost square for a slightly more effective image.

It’s still beautiful as posted.