Snow and Fog Arches NP

A winter visit to Arches National Park resulted in my experiencing some interesting weather conditions. The week I visited Arches I was lucky enough to experience several fresh snowfalls. One afternoon I was shooting up at Canyonlands NP when I noticed off in the distance what appeared to be ground fog hanging around inside Arches NP itself. So I drove back to the Windows section of Arches, and was treated to these wonderful conditions in late afternoon light.

I tend to shoot a lot intimates and small scenes in my images, but I have a few grand landscapes left in me, especially when I travel out west :grinning:

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome.

24 Likes

Ed, how lucky you are that you can visit places like this.I enjoy this image because it’s unknown territory to me. What can I comment on it. I don’t know. I wil read the comments and then learn again. Beautiful !!

Beautiful conditions and excellent capture of them. Great mood with the fog!

Man, this is spectacular, Ed. I’d say conditions for grand landscape shooting don’t get much better than this! This composition works real well and your processing looks great. Very minor but I might pull the saturation down just a touch in the patch of blue sky.

Really nice image of the moment. Agre with @Dave_Dillemuth that the blue could be pulled back a little.

Wow, lucky you Ed. what a fabulous image. I’ve been to Arches four times in February and mostly have been met with sunny skies, only occasionally a few clouds, never snow or fog. I’m headed there again the first week of March.

Wow Ed, what a scene. To be aware of your surroundings is crucial, not just to watch out for danger, but changing weather that might result in an image like this. Well seen and well captured. I think I would be looking for some wall space for this one! :+1: :+1:

Gorgeous, Ed! Nicely composed, and well processed. I agree with Dave about dialing back the saturation in that patch of blue sky.

The light was near perfect, and in combination with the snow and fog, this really sings.
-P

Excellent work there, Ed. No nits from me. I’m always quite the contrarian, so I like the patch of blue sky. I’ve been to Arches twice and seen many photos before, but don’t think I’ve seen this location. Maybe it’s a known spot from a different vantage point?

Fantastic light and atmospherics hear Ed.

My only suggestion would be to burn the white cloud about the pillar that is bordering the top of the frame and boost the luminosity of the fog a touch. That’s definitely a personal preference nit though. This image is excellent!

This a very stunning red rock scene Ed! No nits and I am happy to see you posted this non New England scene from your extensive portfolio.
Beautiful work!

Ed, fabulous composition. The central spire commands attention and is rendered beautifully. The fog is such a dramatic undercurrent and I especially appreciate that you composed with it in a supporting role.

If this were my image, I would see if a darker rendering of the dark clouds would create more drama in the sky, as well as if darker shadows on the rock formations on the right would add to the drama. I might also see what a vignette would accomplish.

Those actualize my vision, and yours may be very different. This is a terrific capture and I’m envious.

The size of the formations is just mind boggling. It reminds me of something from a Star Wars scene. Love this!

Excellent image Ed. The weather plays such an important role in grand landscapes and you were there when it happened. There is little to critique here. Personally l like the sky but I would not complain if the top white cloud was contained within the frame.

@Igor_Doncov @Ben_van_der_Sande @Tony_Siciliano @Michael_Lowe @Preston_Birdwell @Matt_Lancaster @John_Williams @jeremysmythe @Shirley_Freeman @Harley_Goldman @Dave_Dillemuth @Nathan_Klein @Alan_Kreyger

Thanks to all of you for your comments and input. Dave and Jeremy, thanks for the tip on the blue sky, I agree the saturation could be pulled down there. Matt, I was worried that the shadows in the formation were too dark and may have recovered a bit too much, I will have to play with that a bit.

Tony Siciliano, while I’ve been to Arches several times in spring, I’ve only been to Arches once in winter, and it snowed 3 times in 7 days, so it was first timers luck. They closed the trail to Delicate Arch due to snow and ice and I was disappointed, but came away with a few consolation prizes like this. Hopefully the photo gods will provide some snow for you in March.

I believe this is a formation known as the Parade of Elephants. It’s near Double Arch, and if I remember correctly, the shot was taken looking northwest from the parking area for North Window and Turret Arch. The access road from Balanced Rock to North Window curves around this formation.

@Ed_McGuirk wow, wonderful shot. I love the composition, the dark cloud in the top left balances the composition very well. I love the light and how you have processed it. Thanks for sharing

Ed, this is outstanding. Love the mix of light and fog. The bit of blue sky is a fine extra.

Absolutely gorgeous, Ed. No nits from me. What a treat!

Great “eye candy”, Ed. I like everything about the image, especially the fog, well done.

Ed,
The photo gods were with you this day as this is a spectacular piece of work. This has so much mood and mystery with the fog swirling around all of those geological rock formations. The processing looks spot on IMO with the exception of the already mentioned section of blue sky. Glad you were there to capture this and share it with us. Print this baby big and hang it on your wall.