Snow and Fog Arches NP

Just beautiful Ed! In addition to the great wintery atmosphere and conditions with that ground fog… the perspective and scale is fascinating to me. Those little “mittens” or whatever they are on the left in front of the fog bank look like miniatures - just something like they are almost out of place, scale - wise; but for sure make for a fascinating and engaging element.

Hard to suggest any improvements here. Minor tweaks are personal of course, but would agree with the blue patch - I think the color/sat is probably accurate, but its small space and contrasted color does draw attention a smidge. Same goes for the white clouds up top. Not even close to too bright, but relative to the rest of the sky, that could be toned down just to help keep the eye in the frame. Minor stuff…

Lon

Ed, I was going to say that it kinda looked like “The Parade of Elephants” but I didn’t recognize a lot of the elements. I actually photographed this from the other side with the “trunk” of the leading elephant on the right.

Beautiful image and conditions Ed. I love the warm light on the rocks. There is something magical about snow in the desert.

@masdamb @Mark_Seaver @Wade_Thorson @Reno_DiTullio @Ed_Lowe @Lon_Overacker @Eva_McDermott

Thank you for your kind comments on this image. These were very special conditions, and as @Eva_McDermott said, there is something magical about snow in the desert. Like I said, I had 3 snowfalls in the 7 days I was there, and I feel very lucky to be able to experience these conditions.

A different kind of image from Arches. Very well done, Ed. I don’t have much to say other than, congratulations! This deserves to be printed large and hung on the wall.

Outstanding image. Congratulations.

Just adding my ‘wow’ here too! :slight_smile:

Ed: What a beautiful capture of a beautiful moment. The light and the atmospherics are spectacular. I like the blue sky as is but would consider burning the clouds on the top edge. Congrats on a well deserved EP.>=))>

Excellent image of an unusual weather situation. The warm light on the rocks adds some wonderful contrast to the cool feel of the scene.

Definitely a “Keeper” Ed! Funny how we all see things differently. I like the “maligned” blue patch of sky. It adds a color complement to the orange rock formations and it seems to have just the right saturation level (at least on my calibrated monitor). So in the overall color gestalt (50 cent word) it unifies the comp for me.

The thing that struck me was that when I first viewed the image I thought it might have been a composite image. The second set of Elephants appear to be off in the distance and similar in scale to the FG figures. Then, behind the fog, the third set of Elephants tower over the middle set so now I wonder if the middle set is a lot smaller or the third set is enormously larger than the FG set. But maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Anyway, I can spend a lot of time looking at this one. JT

Thanks John. This was all from one image, no composite here. What you are seeing is how it looked in real life, no blending, no warping, etc.

Surreal place Ed! JT

This is a wonderful image. I’m glad you were able to have a patch of blue sky. That always complements the orange of the western landscape. The light on rocks is exceptional and so is the way the clouds behind the middle rocks give a nice contrast between soft and hard edge. My only suggestion is that the photo looks like it’s a bit too strictly balance between left and right and that a step to the left might have made it more pleasing to me… but I’ve been to places like this where that step to the left might be your very last step! Very nice overall!

Love everything about this except the fact it isn’t my photo! Well done!

Best,
Terry

How did I miss this??? Wow Ed! These were some epic conditions you had for this shot. I’ve never been to arches but it looks beautiful. The light was spectacular and the fog layer really makes this image unusual. Print this one big and be proud Ed!!!

@donnaclarke @terryb @David_Haynes

Thanks, I appreciate you folks taking the time to comment on this image.

I was standing in the Windows area parking lot, my only risk was getting hit by a car pulling into a parking space :grin:

Hoo Haw, missed this the first go-round. This reminds me of one of those computer generated landscapes of some imagined planet in another solar system. It is so surreal and compelling. It brings a smile to my lips!

So what are you saying - you wouldn’t risk death or mutilation for a photograph?

@Kerry_Gordon - Sure I would, and here is photographic proof :grin:

1 Like

This is outstanding Ed! This is one of the best images from Arches that I have seen in a long time. The composition stands alone as a unique perspective on this location. In addition to adding to the mood of the image the fog also creates separation between the middle ground formations and the background formations. Outstanding conditions in beautiful light. Your processing looks great to my eye.