Fall Colors in the Iceland Highlands

Trees or not, the autumn colors can be found in the oddest of regions of Iceland including the Highlands. This photo was taken in Landmannalaugar in September 2021.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any notable composition or post-processing adjustments

Technical Details

Hi Joseph,

Having been to Iceland several times during the fall, I totally agree with you! I assume that the subject of this photo is the S curve created by the dirt trail in the moss. My first question would be, what do you feel the extensive area of boulders above it adds to the scene then? Do you feel like it helps to draw attention towards the subject? Or is it maybe pulling attention away from it by being visually heavy?

My next question would be, despite the trail forming a nice S curve, do you really feel it is a compelling subject? Did it excite you while creating the photograph, or did you just think it might “work” as a photograph because it had some kind of defined form to it? Basically what I am saying is, do you feel it’s really enough in order to not just be about a dirt trail? Is it really anything more than that? The most important thing is what it means to you.