Svartifoss, Iceland

The main decision to make in this image was whether to zoom in on the waterfall more, or to show it in its surroundings. I thought that in this particular view, the waterfall worked harmoniously with the hillsides, so zooming out made sense.

I’d love to hear any feedback about this or other questions.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

What a cool place! The waterfall and the land parts are great - the sky not so much. Not that you could do anything about that. Maybe a 16:9 crop to eliminate the sky. You’d still get the depth and context from the hills, but the bright sky wouldn’t grab the eyes so much. If you keep the sky, you might check for chromatic aberration along the tops of the land - looks like a bit of a reddish halo on my screen. At any rate, this is lovely.

1 Like

It’s funny you should mention that. The Iceland trip turned out to be an exercise in dealing with permanently cloudy skies. A lot of my early photos turned out to be horribly flat, and it took a while to realize that the skies offered nothing. My adjustment was to try to minimize sky in the photos, and after your remark I see I could have profitably cropped out a bit more. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like