Fall in Maine II

On my first morning in Baxter State Park, Maine, I was attracted to this section of stream and fall color, so I got out the waders and jumped in the stream. Over 15-20 minutes I worked this section of stream and came away with a couple compositions I liked. In working through these, I can’t pick a favorite, but I feel they’re too similar to keep both in my portfolio. I have one that I’m leaning toward, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts on these, thanks!

Image 1:
5D2, 24-105 @ 47
f/11, 1/4s, ISO100
TK curves adjustments

Image 2:
5D2, 24-105 @ 28
f/11, 0.4s, ISO100
TK curves adjustments

1 Like

Its hard to choose between the two. I like the inclusion of the foliage but the not the darker color. in the first one the speed of the water flow is nice. In the second the cotton candy water seems to be the star of the scene, but the brighter foliage is nicer.

Craig,
I toggled back and forth several times while trying to decide, and while both images are lovely I prefer the first post. I like the textures and details in the water that the slightly faster SS has created. I also like the slightly darker autumn foliage as it seems to be much more vibrant and lush. I also think the slightly tighter crop has exactly what you need to tell the story.

Definitely the first image for me!

The first is unquestionably a stronger composition. Excellent work on your part.

Both are lovely, but I also prefer the first. The higher vantage point and emphasis on the foliage are the separators in my book.

I also toggled between the two may times, finding something to like in each photo more than the other.

In the first photo, my attention moves more readily deeper upstream and into the woods, which gives it a slight edge for me.

In the second, my eye tends to move more across the frame, drawing more attention to the beautiful foliage on the banks, which works great in a different way.

Both are great images, Craig! I agree with everyone that the first image draws more interest and is a more focused composition.

I might suggest lightening up the mid-tones a bit, reducing some of the red/magenta color tones, and introducing cooler tones into the shadows. I may also suggest considering creating a more defined path of light and more interest towards the background. For example, you could use an Orton effect, create a subtle spotlight near the trees in the back, and/or dodge/burn a leading line of light. That’s just what would work for my taste, but you do what works for your style, of course.

Here’s an example of what I might do to modify the image, mostly focusing on tonal and color separation:

Thanks @Patricia_Brundage, @Ed_Lowe, @Carol_Nichols, @Igor_Doncov, @Lyle_Gruby, @Marc_Brawer and @Jimmy_Arcade!

Well, you all made me change my mind. I originally preferred the way the water in the second image pulls you into the image, but I didn’t love the placement of the largest rock on the right side so far into the frame. After looking at these and your responses, I see that the first is the stronger composition for sure.

Jimmy, thanks for taking the time to edit. I like what you did, and will incorporate those changes into my file.

1 Like

Wonderful duo. For me the first has a more comfortable balance between energetic water and quiet land, Mini-niggle… the tree trunks rising to the top left edge are, to me,a tad bright.

No question, the first image is the stronger of the two for me, for many of the reasons already mentioned by the others. The foliage plays a stronger role, and the water flow looks more interesting. The second image just feels too cut off at the top for my taste. And the second image has a lot of negative space at the bottom. The first does a nicer job of showing water flow without having all that negative space. It’s a minor point but the boulder on the right feels better to me by being used a framing element, rather than being shown in its entirety.

Northern Maine must have not been as badly affected by this summers drought as we were in southern New England. I haven’t seen many streams this fall that have a nice a level of flow as this one does.

Thanks @Dick_Knudson and @Ed_McGuirk!

I’m glad that I went back after all the comments favoring #1 and really studied them both, because I now see that the composition is much stronger.

Ed, I agree about that boulder, and that was one of the things I kept looking at that made me prefer the first image. I don’t know about their drought situation, but there were a couple days of significant rainfall the week before we went up that definitely helped out. All of the streams I encountered in Baxter were flowing nicely like this.

Number one has that X, criss cross composition that’s hard to beat.

Image one for me - the difference is subtle but this is the one that stands out. I think the amount of water moment is spot on - really lovely shot and worth the wade!

Both are lovely, but I vote for the first for all the reasons already mentioned. What a wonderful spot you found.

Just as a counterpoint, I fell more in line with your original thoughts. I do prefer the first, but just barely. The composition is stronger, but you lose so much fall color…

I thought waders were for fly fishing – you have made good use of them here. I prefer the top image. I might crop a stitch off the bottom so that the downward thrust of the water in the immediate foreground is not so severe. I think it may compete with the terrific water and rocks as the eye moves through the image.

Thanks @mike19, @Kathy_Barnhart, @John_Williams and @Larry_Greenbaum!

Mike, definitely worth the wade.
Kathy, I noticed this spot from a trail which runs along the river on the left earlier in the day, and knew I had to get down there to photograph it. It was a lovely spot.
John, good to know that my first thoughts weren’t totally off base.
Larry, my waders are one of my favorite pieces of photography gear. They allow so many more location options when shooting streams.