Fall is Coming - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hiking along the Mersey River in Kejimkujik National Park, Nova Scotia as the leaves were turning. It felt like we were peeking through the ferns and the bright colored leaves to see the river. I really liked the strong dark tree trunks offsetting the bright colorful leaves.

Specific Feedback

Lighting, overall balance, composition, etc. please?

Technical Details

Canon 5D Mark III, 32mm (24-105 Canon lens), f4, 1/60 sec., ISO 100, -0.3 step Exposure Bias

1 Like

Ed, certainly a beautiful scene. I understand why it caught your attention. I particularly like the light on the tree trunks and the colorful leaves. The relative brightness in the upper right draws my eye away from the tree trunks though. To bring more attention to the tree trunks, I might crop off a bit on the right and either crop the top or reduce the luminance there via burning, a gradient or a vignette. Nice job capturing a scene that most would simply walk past!

Ron, Thank you for your critique. I can see your suggestions helping to improve the shot. I tried to crop the original a bit more from the top and the right side, and darken a few spots in the top right of the frame a bit more.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the repost, Ed. I do think the small changes made a big difference in the impact of the image. Nice job!

This is a beautiful understated autumn scene, Ed. I can see why you were attracted to it. I think the repost nailed it with the crop suggestion from @Ron_Meeker. Beautifully done!

thank you very much Ed. I appreciate your comments.