Autumn Road + Repost

I know roads with fallen autumn leaves are a bit cliche but, I was not about to pass up this colorful scene that my brother was kind enough to take me to. This image is another from a couple of trips to Susquehanna SP in MD in October of 2022. It would have been nice to have a few more reds, but the leaf color is predominately yellow in the park and they were at peak; so all is good. The conditions could not have been better; the colors were popping due to the light rain and there was no wind to speak of.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

As always all C&C is welcome.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7, Nikon 24-200 @ 42mm, f 11 @ 1/4 sec, ISO 100, Kase magnetic CPL

I would not have been able to pass this up if I had come upon it, Ed. This is the bonanza of fall color. Wow. I like how the road comes in from the left and then ends up rather centered. It adds a nice dynamic. The soft, muted light adds a nice rich saturation to the scene, as did the CPL. I wouldn’t change a thing. Excellent.

1 Like

Ed, I am not the only one living near beautiful surroundings . What great colors you have here. It is too far away for me , other ways I would like to visit this road. We could make images together. I take it there is more to discover.

Ben

1 Like

Yellow and black is an arresting color combination. You hit it just right. Rainy weather always makes the colors richer.

1 Like

Ed,

Gorgeous capture and rendition of a classic autumn scene; could be anywhere. I too would have not passed on this opportunity.

Agree with other comment, the colors are rich and show best in this drizzly wetness. Beautiful image.

I’m not sure this would be an improvement, but perhaps just an alternate look. I tried cropping some off the bottom to attain like a 16:9 ratio. For some reason, the narrower format somehow enhances the path or flow of the road leading the viewer in to the scene. Or another way to look at it, the road becomes more integrated with the autmn scene. I’m not quite sure how to describe it, or even if it’s a viable option. Regardless, you’ve got a autumn classic winner.

Lon

1 Like

What stunning colors you have in this image, Ed. The gentle rains certainly helped get that color saturation and I love that you have everything from bright greens to burn orange and reds in this image. The curving road leads the eye right through the scene as do the dark blacks down the middle of the road. I think the composition is great although I do like @Lon_Overacker suggestion about cropping into a 16:9 ratio. I scroll cropped and I love it. It changes the image quite a bit so maybe not what you were aiming for but certainly different. Either way, what a fall colors image, Ed! So glad to see you posting pics again.

1 Like

Many thanks everyone @David_Bostock , @Ben_van_der_Sande , @Igor_Doncov , @Lon_Overacker and @David_Haynes for your thoughtful C&C as it is always appreciated.
Ben: That would be fun.
Lon and David: Thanks for the idea, that works too.

4 Likes

Hey Ed,

That works! Thanks for taking the time and considering the suggestions. I think what you have here is a versatile image for printing… depending on wall space requirements you have options! :grin:

1 Like

This is a beautiful foliage scene Ed. The road provides a wonderful lead in.

1 Like