Fall Snow

I was going through some older photos and came across this from a very snowy morning in the Eastern Sierra a few years back. There was no snow on the ground when I got out here, but it started coming down so hard I couldn’t keep it off the lens, even with the hood. I was a few miles back on a four wheel drive road and didn’t want to get stuck, so I only got a few shots that morning.
Thanks and all comments welcome.

Any pertinent technical details:

D700, 24-70mm @ 48mm, f10 @1/60

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Rudy, real nice mix of fall and winter. Changing seasons at its best. I don’t blame you for not staying around longer, but what a shame to give up even more potential images.

Aspens and falling snow. What’s not to like. This is nicely composed, and the processing looks good to me.
-P

Rudi,

Doesn’t happen all that often, but always fun having a little snow mixed in with the autumn colors on the East side. Pretty apparent with the falling snow and great that you were able to get some good detail in the trees considering the conditions look a little blustery given the angle of the falling snow.

Only a couple of minor tweaks. Some of the brush looks a little to magenta to my eye. Also, there are two large blobs/streaks of snow on the right that pull my eye. I suppose there’s lots of ways to address that, the most obvious content aware cloning. But I don’t think getting rid of them entirely is the solution as they do help provide action and help tell the story.

I just now tried this and made it up. I’m sure it’s been done, but something to consider. I duplicated the bg layer, did a content-aware clone of those two large streaks. Then, simply backed off the opacity of that layer to like 20% revealing a somewhat reduced presence, but still there as evidence of the falling snow. Let me know and I can post.

Lon

Beautiful, Rudy. Composition and processing look good to me as presented. The mix of fall colors and falling snow is irresistible.

This is very impressionistic, Rudy. Almost painterly in fact. The transition of the seasons with the autumn color on the aspens and the falling snow is fantastic. I am not sure how you would fix it: maybe content aware; but those couple of large streaks on the right edge draw my eye a little. To bad you could not stick around.

Really love this, @Rudy_Ruberti. I really enjoy the creative vision as well as the colors. Well done.

Thank you for the comments and I’ll work on those spots.

The texture and direction of the snow, and its contrast with the colorful foliage behind is wonderful. Those two large streaks of snow on the right are a little big and catch the eye more than perhaps they should (could possibly be cloned if you are OK with that). The other slight distraction is that light streak on the left that goes up and too the right - slightly darkening that would help I think and draw more attention to the foliage which is the star of the show.