Family Affair II

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G @ 150mm
ISO 400, 1/160 @ f22
“Don’t take Flora pictures in harsh light”
Most Flora shots come out best when the light is even, the shadows soft or non-existent and the colors aren’t overwhelmed by the bright light. Well, I like harsh and dappled light like this and in the case of water lilies they often don’t open unless there is full or at least partial sun. Family Affair I was taken in the conventional soft light but I also liked this for the play of light and shadow on the blooms and the pads. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Beautiful lighting an color here! Composition is well balanced with clear subjects; a very eye pleasing image here. Great work my friend! The only thing I might change would be to crop out the upper portion of the image; I feel this highlights the beautiful flowers even more! Awesome work!

Bill, I love this dappled light look and the colors are handled beautifully!

Vivid and glowing! Very eye-catching. I agree a little off the top might help.

Bill, the pop of the flowers and the pop of the leaves (throughout the frame) are great. I’m really enjoying how your comp. and the lighting let the leaves play a strong supporting role in the view. The suggested crop would make the flowers more dominant, but I reallly like the two part story that this comp. creates. The leaves at the top create a fine sense that there are lots more flowers and leaves nearby, adding a good mental component to the viewing. The comparison with Family affair I illustrates the story telling aspect of this version.

Bill,

Striking and gorgeous. Now maybe you’re breaking the “in soft light” rule… but you’re following another: Take advantage of the conditions presented you!

It’s as if you turned on spotlights for each blossom. You couldn’t have asked for better lighting here. Kudos for taking advantage of it.

Small nit - burn or otherwise take care of the odd yellow on the LR edge. very minor.

Lon

I’m not sure how I missed seeing and commenting on this one. Very nicely captured, Bill. I am enjoying the colors and the lighting. :+1::+1:

Bill
I missed this as well. Very gorgeous and Monet like. The dappled sun does give it that extra something. A good example of “rules are meant to be broken” .