Family of Trees

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I really like the spotlight in the middle of the scene. I think it provides the story to the image and the atmosphere helps simplify and establish some mood.

I have another scene that is a tad bit wider and contains another tree on the right side of the image m, but it adds what is likely unneeded for the image.

Creative direction

Keeping with the mysterious and mystical theme of the prior image.

Specific Feedback

Any and all is welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 100, f/11, 1/5 sec. 75 mm

Description

I had nearly packed up to head back to the apartment. I already felt a little guilty getting out for a few hours. Decided to walk down the hill back into where the fog was and this was the first scene that greeted me!

3 Likes

Hi David, what a beautiful image!
I agree with your self critique about the spotlight and I don’t think you need another tree to the right of the image, as the tree on the right already has a significant presence in the image.
The scene definitely feels mysterious and mystical (I would also add magical!), although the fog in the left of the image does feel slightly heavy, with the thickness in the top left pulling me away from the spotlight. I think that dehazing this area somewhat could work well for the image.
I would also suggest cropping out the foliage in the bottom of the frame, as I feel like it doesn’t quite fit with the rest of the image and your creative direction, although its probably a matter of personal preference.

All in all, this is a wonderful image and I think you have definitely achieved your creative direction :slight_smile:

Hi David, I love this image! That beautiful light just draws you in. When I go out to shoot, this is the light I am so drawn to and you did a beautiful job of framing this image. I also would suggest cropping from the left side a bit to lessen the fog area, that tends to draw your eye. It is wonderful and adds mystery to the sunny spot but feels a bit heavy. But of course it is all a matter of personal preference. Beautiful shot!

David, this is just magic and leave it as it is !

I love this image, David. Many of the early 19th century landscape paintings have that light in the wood look to them. This also reminds me of @Ben_van_der_Sande’s woodland scenes. I wouldn’t crop out anything. You might burn in the sky highlights a bit using a mask. Actually, I would leave that as is. Great job.

Hi David,

As Claudia and Keenan already mentioned, I think cropping out the left side (and the foliage) from my POV would strengthen your story. The left (4th) tree doesn‘t add a lot. Personally, I always prefer odd numbers as main objects (the 3 trees in this case). And this just seems perfect: Two „big guardians“ and one protĂ©gĂ©e in the middle.

The atmosphere is great already, not sure if there’s more to do. Absolutely love those trees. Great image!

@Keenan_Wadsworth @claudia1 @Ben_van_der_Sande @Igor_Doncov @Markus_Albert

Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions. Lot’s of attention on the left side of the image. I think there is something to explore here! To me, the left side creates the depth. Without it, it becomes somewhat flat and a little too tonally similar. For me, and I don’t claim to be right at all, the left side creates breathing room, and space, a bit of openness as the right side, with the stronger contrast and “heaviness” provides the anchor. I can provide some crops later, right now just digesting the suggestions a bit. Love the conversation!

Oooh, gorgeous! I agree with you about that left side creating more depth. And more mystery. I could see brushing in a bit more fog/mystery on the left, maybe along the top, angling it with that tree. It may be that the transition from the cool, foggy bit to the warm, contrasty bit is too abrupt? Here’s my idea. Not sure if it works, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

I enjoyed viewing your image, David. I think the foggy left side adds to the overall sense of wonder as the ferns do in the foreground. Wonderful photogenic trees. Agreed that it does have the look and feel of an old school landscape painting.

David, I really like this image, and I also like the foggy LHS. The transition from the quite clear RHS to the LHS does unbalance the image a bit. But I guess if were going to do anything about that, rather than cropping the fog out I’d add a little negative dehaze to the RHS to balance things out

David, your composition works extremely well for me, especially the prominent diagonals counteracted by the mighty trees. It gives me a wonderful sense of the place and atmosphere.

Not as much a suggestion for this image, but more for working that scene. Forgive me if you already did this while you were there. But as some people mentioned the left side is competing for my attention with the fog. What is also competing for my attention on the left is that gap between those trees. Is it a trail, an opening in the forest? I think a good follow up to this image would have been a composition with that foggy opening in the trees. Maybe you already took it and it wasn’t as good, or looked at it, and it wasn’t as compelling. But that is a part that I think I would crop a little more out of this image, because it is drawing me that way a little bit when looking at this one. I love forest shots, and for this shot, that spotlight really does create a great look with the foggy border.

1 Like

Beautiful, David! So painterly. I’m really torn on the question of crop the left or not. Upon my first study, before reading other comments, I though it was just right as is and didn’t notice a need to crop the left. The one comment that does resonate with me, though, is @WillR’s suggestion to brush in a bit of negative dehaze, just to balance the scene a bit more. But, I think we are really getting into the nittiest of nits at this point.

@Bonnie_Lampley Thank you for taking the time, I will play with adding a bit more in there and see what I can come up with
thank you!

@Stephen_Stanton thank you for the kind words! Much appreciated.

@WillR If I’m understanding your comment correctly, you are suggesting the opposite of @Bonnie_Lampley I considered adding a little more negative dehaze to the “crown” of the tree on the right but resisted initially. Maybe worth a play! Thank you!

@Peter_Richter Thank you so much! It was a great experience!

@bob11 I didn’t consider making an image of just that section while I was there, maybe I was too distracted by the light! A great reminder though to look for the scenes within the scene while I’m out.

@jefflafrenierre Thank you for the comment. I agree we are getting into the details here
but if we can’t do it here, where can we! This is the stuff I love about this site!

I’m going back through and looking at some portfolios and images. I just want to say this needs no additional work, no crop, and no extra fog. It is wonderful as presented. I would print it big and hang it in a prominent gallery somewhere. Wonderful David.

1 Like

Much appreciated @Ed_Williams