Fast Bath

This Robin was slinging water pretty good in our bird bath about a month ago. I love to watch them. They also have been hanging around drying off some, so was able to get a few shots of air drying.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

It was pretty harsh light, so the highlights blew out on the back side of the bird bath, while everything else did well exposure wise. I wish I had the polirizer filter on, but if I had taken the time to get it and put it on, I would have missed the shot all together. Is there anything else you might see?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything you might see.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Shot handheld through the window with 7D II, Canon 100-400 mm L lens at 400 mm. Settings f9, 1/1250, ISO 1000 ( ISO auto, everything else manual setting). Edited in LR and Topaz. Appreciated any comments.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Shirley, this is a fine catch on this Robin bathing. The flying water looks great. The highlights along the back of the bath fit the scene and don’t grab a lot of extra attention. They are specular highlights, that is direct reflection of the sun, which means that you’d have to cut them by between 6 and 10 stops to hold any detail (they’re similar in brightness to a direct shot of the sun). A polarizer would reduce them but probably not eliminate them completely. I do think some burning-in of the bright grass in the lower left would be good.

Thank you, Mark. This is very helpful information. I had no idea that it is light shooting a shot directly at the sun, and that the highlights need 6 to 10 stops! No wonder I couldn’t burn them down enough, and was wishing for the polirizer. I did burn the grass down some in the lower left, but, it sounds like not quite enough. Thank you so much. This is what I love about this site, not just some generalization, or cut one down, but good, sound, helpful advice.

A very nice shot, Shirley, despite the bright sun. I agree with mark that the bright grass could come down some more. I really like that “Y” shaped water formation the Robin created. They do love their baths.

Nice capture of the aggressive splashing, Shirley! Lots of movement in this shot. I think maybe you toned down the highlights a little too much. The splashes and droplets would be more exciting if they sparkled a bit. I wouldn’t worry too much about the highlights on the bird bath as that is expected when you have direct reflections of the sun light.

Thank you, Dennis and Gary. Been so busy lately that I haven’t had a chance to go back and try any of your advice. I do appreciate you taking the time to view and commenting/advising.

Nice moment captured Shirley, and yes, sometimes you just have to shoot away even if conditions aren’t perfect, otherwise you have nothing.

But the highlights don’t bother me too much. Just out of curiosity, I see you use Topaz. Is this for noise reduction and do you find it performs well?

Thanks! Ingrid.

Thank you, Ingrid. Yes, I use Topaz AI Clear for noise, and love what it does. It has allowed me to brave allowing the camera to see higher ISO settings!

Thanks Shirley, I will trial it!

1 Like