Female Bufflehead

Another one from one of Dan Kearl’s locations in Portland, OR. There were a number of bright reflections in the water that I removed as I found them very distracting.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you might note.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How does the background work?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
7Dii, Sigma 150-600 C @ 516 mm, hand held on my belly, f/7.1, 1/400, iso 800, aperture priority, spot metering. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 8.8 MP. Taken March 5th at 1:15 pm under hazy skies and on the shady side of the pond.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hello, Dennis - nice shot of this BH. As to your question, the background works for me. It seems like you had cloudy skies, which is probably all the better with this species, since the feather details come out very nicely in your image. Nice one ! Cheers, Hans

I actually find this one quite interesting with respect to the color scheme. There are only three or perhaps four colors in this image; green, black, white, gray. It almost reminds one of images where the subject is desaturated completely to black-and-white. From the standpoint of the background, I think it works quite well. You’ve got fairly good transition and a nice circle of focus with respect to depth of field.

Yes, this works very well Dennis. I like the background and the details on the bird are quite nice. 'continue to be jealous of y’all’s ducks.