Female mallard and ducklings

Seen at the neighborhood lake recently.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Tried stopping down some to get more DOF but still couldn’t get all ducklings sharp. I like this version with the ducklings lined up though.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 640, f9, 1/400s

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

The perfect line-up of the ducklings is great, Allen, and you got a great head turn from the mother to help. I suspect you’d still have a bit of blur even at f/22 and you’d really have to crank the iso to get there.

And besides, ducklings are supposed to be fuzzy!

A great family portrait. The light is to die for.

Hi Allen
Is this like getting all your ducks in a row. :grinning: Vary nice framing and the cute facter is off the scale.
Peter

Heckuva lineup and nice spacing between mom and kids, Allen. As Dennis mentioned, it would probably be tough getting them all sharp at this proximity. Nice job, nonetheless.

The lined up ducklings make this view special, Allen. Looks like a tough choice, get mom nice and sharp or get the 3 little ones sharp, I think this choice looks good.

Now that’s a lineup! I really like the composition here. I think you could very easily clone the face of the sharp duckling on the far left onto the closest duckling furthest right and make it appear much sharper than it currently is. Since both faces are pointed in the same direction, I think it would look considerably better. Just a thought.