Female Purple Finch

I spent some time in my permanent blind the last couple of mornings. This one was from yesterday.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 658 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/400, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 8376x5552. Taken at 9:21 AM on May 15th under overcast skies.

3 Likes

What a beautiful, fairy tale like image, Dennis! I could see this in some kind of a story! I love the reflection and the surroundings. The bird is so very cute and almost seems like she will look at you and start talking when she’s done with her drink! Great blind set up you have!

Beautiful capture! I’m wondering about cropping out about half of the distant BG. I’d also play with bending its (the BG’s) colors a bit – something about it doesn’t fit, for me.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller. You’re right and I hadn’t thought of it. This little pool is raised a couple of feet and the background is grasses and bracken ferns with some rather light colored camo material concealing a chicken wire fence (to keep the deer from photo bombing my setup). The background for a mossy setup like this should mimic the mossy woodland tones to be more realistic.

Hi Dennis
This is sort of a wonder land setup. I agree with Diane on cropping half of the green background, as does look a little out of place. Now back to your Purple Finch photo. The Finch’s framing in the pool is great, with a nice reflection, eye contact and good feather detail. Nice work.
Peter

Background clashes aside, this is a beautiful look at the bird in a gorgeous set up.

Superb job Dennis! I really like this image. It shows us superb feeding behaviors. The reflection is wonderful. The setting is perfect.