Purple Finch, female + Repost

A very unusual sighting for this time of year in Oklahoma, but there is little doubt she is what she is. When I tried to report this bird on ebird, I was forced to manually add it to my checklist, at which point I was warned this is an unusual sighting for this date and this location. Yeah, no kidding. Photo captured May 12, 2021.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM zoom @ 220mm, f/8, 1/250 sec., ISO 800, Hand Held. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure, sharpness, and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

A very nice image, Terry, and it’s always neat to find an occasional stray wandering through. It’s also interesting on a site like this to see what are strays in other parts of the world. We have bunches of this species right now. You got good detail in this one. The background is a bit overpowering. I don’t know if you’re separating the bird form the background in your processing, but if you are, you might bring up the background a bit and maybe desaturate that intense green. I’m sure it looked like this, but sometimes mother nature needs a hand when it comes to artistry.

Thanks, Dennis. I was surprised to see her because, in this part of the world, these birds are out of here by early April. I don’t normally separate the background for processing, but I’ll keep that in mind.

Excellent pose and detail. I agree with Dennis about the background but I think you can fix that by decreasing the green saturation somewhat.

1 Like

How about this, guys? @David_Schoen @Dennis_Plank

The decreased saturation of the green BG is much improved.

1 Like

A much pleasanter background. If you want to get carried away, you could clone over the one bright green blob with some of the other, but it’s not a big deal.

I actually did consider that, Dennis. I might work on it a bit more.