Female Wood Duck

When I was reviewing the images I took on Thursday, I was surprised at the amount of color this female was showing. Much subtler than the male, but an amazingly colorful bird. For reference the light was coming from my left at probably a 45 degree angle or so to the bird under hazy skies.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, f/9, 1/500, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6868x4323. A small amount of cleanup on the background and a fair amount of adjustment to the duck, mostly through luminosity masks to bring the midtones up. Taken Thursday, April 1st at 9:12 am.

1 Like

There is a lot of color in this female wood duck. I don’t know that I have ever seen as much color but perhaps it was the light. Excellent detail and nice look at the water.

I don’t recall seeing such a colorful female either. Excellent detail and the water is attractive as well. Great job.

She is gorgeous, as is the water! I’ll bet she would stand up well to a bigger crop.

The males are the showstoppers, but the females are no slouches! You’ve caught her iridescence very nicely here, and the water compliments her well. My only suggestion is to sharpen the bird a touch more.

Very nice colors and you produced a very pleasing image. You could try a tighter crop too if so desired. Well done…Jim