Field of (Lupine) Dreams (H + V)

Certainly qualifies for Flora, but also could be considered a mini floral landscape… :wink:

Preston and I had scouted this exposed high mountain meadow the night before. I can only make a guess at the size, but I’m guessing at least an acre of wildflowers; dominated by Lupine. Here is a focus stack of 5 images with the idea of capturing the expanse of the field rather than concentrate on the smallish flowers. Also, the horizontal and vertical versions of the same scene.

There was the slightest of breeze in this exposed meadow, even before the sun came up over the horizon. It was a comfortable 27def F.

As always your comments, critiques and suggestions always welcome.

Thanks! Lon

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

As always, processing, color, etc. The greens and purple/blues of the lupine are easily minipulated to the hue of your choice…

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Preferred comp? Does the open space up top of the vertical detract?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, Nikon 28-300mm both @35mm iso 800
1st - 5-image stack at f/6.3 1/100th
2nd - 5-image stack at f/9 1/15th

1 Like

Both are really nice, Lon.

In the first one, I like the two main clumps of flowers in the foreground.

In the second one, I like the subtle sunlight and the diverging lupine stalks. By way of a suggestion, you might consider cropping out the green area top-right.

Color and contrast look very nice in both images.
-P

These are both gorgeous Lon but I like the horizontal version best. There is an apparent diagonal of green that creates a nice visual flow through the field. I also like the presence of the yellow on the left.

I love the horizontal version a lot, Lon. Gorgeous. I would be tempted to clone out the yellow mustard flower(?) on the UL corner and replace it with more lupine. But it’s a nit.

Beautiful sea of lupine, Lon. Horizontal for me by a healthy margin. I would agree with @Adhika_Lie about cloning the yellow flowers. It is an eye magnet for me in the field of blue.

What an amazing scene! I love how you filled the entire frame with the lupines and I really like that splash of yellow flowers in the horizontal image.

Lon, I’m all over the horizontal one. It to me really presents the vast open area full of lupines with a lot for us to look at. The stacking shows tremendous DOF and clarity front to rear. Excellent field and PP work overall…:sunglasses::…:+1:

I too vote for horizontal. The open space of the vertical does hurt just a bit IMHO.

Love the mix of purple and green!

I prefer the vertical one Lon. I feel the first photo could benefit from a crop off the bottom since there is empty space there and a few distracting elements on the corners.

Beautiful scene.