Fiery-tailed Bumble Bee

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

When I saw Kris Smith’s Orange-belted Bumble Bee recently on NPN, it reminded me of a Korean species, Bombus ignitus, at least in appearance. Our guy (as above) differs from the female, which lacks the yellow and is just black with a fiery tail. I haven’t seen one of the females yet, so it’s on my to-do list. Here he is feeding on a lovely wild flower (Scilla scilloides) which grows in large groups, mainly around the countryside graves, and attracts many insects. Taken about a week ago.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome.

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm macro 1/400 f10 ISO 2500

Denoise and tonalities in PS. Lowered Vibrance on the BG.

1 Like

What a beautiful boy. Quite colorful and very fuzzy. The position is nice for showing all of that and I bet he moves through the flowers like the ones here do when on something similar - like a corkscrew they circle up or down. It’s hard to shoot them when they do this unless you just line up a spot and wait for them to come into it. Fun to watch. I wonder if the saturation is just a tiny bit much here, but that’s my only though on how to improve.

1 Like

Mike, what a great find and capture. They can be hard to get a decent shot of because they do move around as @Kris_Smith said. I also agree that the saturation looks like it could be lowered a bit. I like the composition and you really got some wonderful details in the bee. Nicely done.

1 Like

Hi Mike, I like the composition in this image with the flower bending to the bee as the image sharpens there. The colors on the flower look good to me. Maybe bringing down the green a tad would be an improvement. Nice image.

1 Like

Wonderful subject and capture! I don’t think the saturation is a problem as much as the shade of green – it is a bit too cyan to look natural to me.

1 Like