Fiery-throated Hummingbird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from my first day. The Paraiso Quetzal Lodge had a nice deck hummingbird setup just behind the dining room. They don’t allow flash, but that’s not my thing anyhow. I’ll post an image later that shows the throat in all its glory. This bird changes color every which way as it turns, so until you get used to it, it can be difficult to figure out what it is.

Specific Feedback

There was a clamp holding the right end of the perch under the tip of the bill. I had deliberately taken an image of the whole perch in the same series knowing I might have to steal some to hide the clamp. Did it work out reasonably well?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 725 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/800, iso 2500. Processed in LR & PS CC. Replaced the clamp with some of the other end of the perch and cropped to 7654x5106. Taken February 15th at 11:15 am local time.

1 Like

OMG this is an exquisite little creature. The raindrops and the fluffed feathers of the shake are pretty fabulous. I can’t tell there’s a clamp there, now disappeared, so if you didn’t say, I’d never know, but it is a reminder of how catered these locations are. Eco-tourism is now a thing rather than just slash burning and selling animals on the black market (all I can think of is Michael Douglas’s character in Romancing the Stone). Your skill came to bear here for sure.

Clamp? No problem. Great job of removing and replacing it with part of the perch. The bird is magnificent. What gorgeous colors. You caught a wonderful rainy day pose. Waiting for the next one.

Wow Dennis. What a great shot. Love the colors and the pose on this little guy. The details in the perch are excellent too. The raindrops add a nice touch. Sounds like a great trip for you.

Wonderful bird, pose, colors, detail, perch… Did I leave anything out? Clamp?? What clamp? (Why do birds always perch in the worst spot?) But whatever you did to remove it left no sign. You should have been a surgeon.

Wow Dennis - what a great image of this beautiful bird! Great pose, perch, BG, and rain drops. Worth the trip in getting this image!

You soundly defeated the clamp with your photo-editing technique. Colors are fantastic and I like the pose. Some fill flash would have put some color back in those shadows, but you stuck to the rules and still was able to get a very nice shot. Awesome hummer…Jim

I like the pose with the wing position and showing the tail feathers. Excellent detail. Clamp? Not sure what you’re talking about. Background and rain work well with the image.

Dennis: what’s not to like about this photo of a beautiful bird on a great perch with a complimentary oof background. Excellent in all respects and deserves a large place on your wall.

Very cool, Dennis. It’s a beautiful bird and you caught it at the right moment.

Wonderful catch, Dennis. I love the rain drops too. Nicely done.