Fingal Head sunrise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Fingal Head is in Northern NSW. This photo is taken from the headland, east across what they call “the causeway” to Cook Is. Much of the geology here is Basalt columns.

On the day there was very little cloud and so no colour in the sky. There was also a howling northerly wind. Disappointed with the lack of colour I’ve tried to capture the motion of the swell and the light reflecting off the surf.

Specific Feedback

I’d like some C&C on the composition in general, the location of the horizon (not being the rule of thirds), shutter speed and motion.

Technical Details

5Ds + EF 16-35mm f4 L @ 16mm taken at f11, 0.4s , ISO100

1 Like

Mark, I am drawn to your image and wonder what has captured me. The placement of the horizon downplays the cloudless sky and gives attention to the surf. Yet, it allows the color of the rising sun to tell us what is happening. I like how the color in the sky and oranges in the water are repeated in the warmth of the rocks. The amount of space allowed for the breaking surf helps balance the heaviness of the rocks. Regarding the shutter speed and motion in the water, it feels right to me. A longer shutter speed would have robbed the exciting textures in the water. I would like to see more detail in the middle rock. I took the liberty of seeing what it would look like. All I did in LR was open up the shadows and pulled down the highlights that were clipping.

1 Like

Thanks Barbara.

A couple more from the same morning, same intentions. These show the basalt stacks in more detail.

Same position but looking SE.

Hi Mark
An inviting image as displayed. I love the texture in the water and the FG rock helps to frame the composition. I agree with Barbara that the middle rock needs to be a bit brighter with some texture.
Although the BG balances the composition especially the island I’m not sure that it adds anything to the overall image, especially as there are no defining clouds. If you were to crop just above the middle rock it would change the story, however, it may make for a more impactful image.

1 Like

I like the composition. Great choice of SS to achieve some great texture in the water. The reflected sunrise colors in the surf adda nice touch. I like how @Barbara_Djordjevic opened up the shadows.

1 Like

Mark,
The composition works for me as does your placement of the horizon along with your chosen SS. Even though you were disappointed with the color in the sky the yellow glow works nicely and I am loving the green color of the water. The textures and details in the water do a beautiful job of implying motion. My only suggestion was taken care of with @Barbara_Djordjevic’s repost. Very nicely done.

1 Like