Fire in the Valley + Rework

Rework

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

enough interest throughout the frame?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

Morning light sets the rock walls of Valley of Fire SP ablaze.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D II, EF 28-70mm @ 70mm; f/16 @ 0.5 sec, ISO 100; Gitzo tripod, RRS BH 55, remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Would you like to visit this area?

3 Likes

nice composition except I am a tiny bit bothered by the brightness of the rock on the lower left edge. it is pulling me away from the central attraction: the rocks brightly lit by a setting sun, I think. just burning it down a bit might help

Thank you @bill_theis . The lower left lighter rock surface is reflected light from the right side rocks. I’ll look at burning that a bit. The rock has now been burned enough that it more closely mimics the tone of the rock to its right.

Bob,
This image has a nice mix of warm and cool tones as well as some wonderful light highlighting those interesting geological formations. For my tastes your repost with @bill_theis suggestion works best. Beautifully done.

Thank you @Ed_Lowe for your comments. It is always interesting to note what others see and how little is required to improve the image. I believe that is much of what makes NPN better than it was before.
When I was in academia I had an editor who meticulously poured over everything I wrote. Authors cannot proofread their own work. We know what we want to say and therefor miss all the errors. Sometimes it is simply the antecedents in a sentence or paragraph. I still have an editor, just not one from the University.