Quality of Light - Valley of Fire

Original

Edited Version

Thank you for your kind and helpful suggestions.

I took some of the suggestions and posted a reworked image. I have a horizontal captures but I could not find one I liked better than the vertical.

I found this composition around 8:45 am and the sun was out for a couple of hours It was not possible to stay until later in the day. I am wondering if the light is too harsh?

Canon 5D MKIV, 24-105mm @ 50mm, f/16, 1/320sec, ISO 125

An interesting photo, Don. And no, I’m not bothered by the light at all. I love the colors you captured and the sharpness and texture of the entire image. But, for what it is worth, here is my critique: I’d like to see more of the swirls, the lines and the wonderful stone coloring, especially more of that gray/blue tone that is cut off just above the two shrubs. For me, the flowing rock formation and color tones are the major focal point and most interesting elements of the picture. If the plants were smaller and maybe lower in the frame, they could act as a good anchor and give the viewer a chance to pause while while taking in the stone. With their current location and size they seem a little awkward, and compete for my attention. A horizontal style format might better compliment the layers, and zooming out using a wider angle of the 24-105mm lens might be another way to go for your subject. Although I am aware that sometimes you just have to shoot from a given position and don’t have too many opportunities to move around and look for different angles of view. Don’t get me wrong though, after writing all this, I still like your image. Good shooting to you!

This is a really good image. I put it into a white frame and it really sings to me. However, as much as I like this a horizontal of the image below the plant is even better for me. The shapes and colors of that abstract are just wild. So, you’ve got 2 great images in one shot. That seems pretty good to me.

I like the composition here and I like how you don’t have any strong shadows despite the harsh light. I would recommend shooting sandstone scenes in twilight/soft light or overcast conditions though. I don’t think it looks horrible here but it maybe would have caused for improvement. I like the sandstone to glow.

The composition works just great for me Don. The flowing stream of orange leads me right through the image, and the placement of the shrubs follows the rule of thirds in a good way. I think the image works despite the bright lighting; the saturation you chose has left the colors very rich. Nicely done!

Don,

I quite like this. I think you’ve done as good job as possible in the bright light. In fact, it’s only small shadow areas by the plant that clue the viewer in that this is in direct light. And I think you’ve done well to extract some good color, especially when we know that harsh, direct light tends to wash things out.

And I like the composition too. I like how the primary orange streak (and adjacent layers) meander thru the scene giving it a nice flow. Even the plants are positioned nicely in the Rule of thirds kinda placement. And overall, I think the sandstone, the geology, layers, etc. are showcased perfectly.

The more I’m viewing this, the more I like it.

Lon

Hi Don,

The lighting looks good. The s-shaped curve in the rock provides a lot of interest to your composition. Well done…Jim

Don, this is a very creative bit of seeing. and I think your processing of color/contrast/ exposure looks really great. The image has rich, warm feeling to it. Very nice job on this image.

While i think this image is very good, I’d suggest a couple things that IMO would elevate this even several notches further. I would do a slight crop from the bottom. I am also bothered by how the top part of the S-curve merges with the frame edge. To fix that, in PS I added 6% canvas, and used Content Aware Fill (CAF) to add breathing room around that merger. And more subjectively, my personal taste leans to having left to right “flow” in an image so I flipped the canvas horizontal. The CAF did an amazing job without intervention.

Nice photo. I like the composition as is. My nit: it seems a bit flat to me. I increased the white point and added a slight s-curve in Photoshop curves:

1 Like

Hi,

I want to post my edited version of my original post. Should I “reply” to my original post or start a new one?

Thanks,
Don

Don,

All you need to do is “edit” your original post and click on the “add image” again. Insert/place that line anywhere you want in the post, typically after your original. Make sure and give a few carraige returns to have some space between images. And bonus tip would be to add text indicating to the viewer which image is which.

Hope this helps

You should ‘edit’ you’re original. Do that by clicking on the pencil symbol below your original post. Then follow Lon’s directions.