First and Last

First of the day:

Last of the day:

Well, I think I’ve shared about as many ICM’s from our trip to Point Reyes as I can, or perhaps as many as anyone can put up with by now. Believe it or not, there were a couple more, but I think it’s time to move on.

Not that this means anything, but just seemed to work out this way, but this image was the very first ICM I did on our 2nd morning. And the second image was the very last image I made on the trip before heading home. The first image was from a roadside pullout maybe a mile or two from the hotel. I knew it was going to be a great time when Diane pulled over at the very first opportunity for a photograph. This was a stand of white-trunked trees (birch or alder?) down a little draw, so I had zoomed in to about 150mm to reach them.

Second image on the road to Mt. Baldy of Pt. Reyes. Not sure of the trees, but I know there was lots of hanging moss and greens all around. I process this one to emphasize the bright area on the left to hopefully, maybe give the impression of some source of light and glow.

Thanks all for induldging all these images. I want to thank Diane and Tony for one of my favorite photo outings in recent memory.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback and comments welcome! Since these are quite similar and my last from this trip, I posted together.

Technical Details

Nikon D800E, Nik 28-300mm @150mm and @160mm respectively, F/18 1/4s iso 100

4 Likes

Hi Lon. The ICMs are fun. I think I like the first one best. Trees look like they almost have a spiral to them. I also like how the orange in the lower left center balances out the green.

Lon, both work quite well here. Nice series you’ve been posting. I’ve enjoyed them all.

1 Like

Hi Lon,
I never get sick of these, really. I know what you mean though about feeling like it’s time to move on. It’s such a different kind of photography, and when I did ICM for a full year and little else, I felt like I didn’t know how to see other things for a while. You’re probably much better at balancing your genres and certainly more constant in making images.

I like both of these pretty equally. The whites are fun and wispy in the first and I like the fade in and out of the “background” in the second.

Looking forward to your next post,
ML

1 Like

I’m really liking that first one, Lon. I think it’s the tree trunks that give it a little bit of structure and I like the waves too. I like the tonal range in the second one going from light to dark and also I like the two darker vertical trunks??? as well. That first one though has a little more movement that’s not so straight and I’m enjoying that one the most. Great trip. Hope to make it on the next one.

Oh no – don’t quit now!! I know exactly the scene you shot in the first one and I was trying to make something of it, but never even thought of ICM, although your enthusiasm for the scene (and your reputation) should have made me think of it! Your enthusiasm was palpable. Mine was: OK, I pulled over because these are cool trees but I can’t see anything to do with them.

It’s the white trunks that I was attracted to, and that’s what makes the first one special. I LOVE the movement. And next time I’m over there I can guarantee you I’ll stop here and THAT time I’ll try to do justice to the possibilities!

1 Like

First of the day Lon. I nearly always like a reference in an ICM image and this has it. Love the image

Lon, I’m glad you had a memorable trip. You came away with some wonderful expressive images! Of the two here, I slightly prefer the top one due to the structure of the tree trunks. I love the square crop format of both images though. On the first image, may I suggest cloning out that the transition line just right of center next to the tree. It’s where the green color transitions from light to dark. Great work on these!