First Light

I’ve recently discovered a new area of Joshua Tree National Park that I enjoy photographing as the trees are more spaced out, which makes it easier to isolate them from each other, and from the background. This was my first image taken on that visit, just after daybreak, and prior to coffee. I was drawn by the spacing of these 3 trees and moved back and forth to frame the central one between the other two. The soft colorful light of the new day really makes the image for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

I tend to prefer limited post-processing of my images so I haven’t done very much to this image at all … but would be interested to hear your feedback if I’m missing a trick or could improve the image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This is a 2 image bracketed exposure stack (to extend dynamic range) taken on my Canon R, with 24-105mm lens at 50mm, ISO 100, 0.2s, and 0.4s at f11.

@jonnorrisphoto
2 Likes

Jon, it’s a bit hard to find this many “clean” J-trees in a nice visual sequence such as this. Your efforts paid off very nicely. The light post processing works just fine too… :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @Paul_Breitkreuz … I appreciate your feedback :slight_smile:

1 Like

The composition works really well. Your experience with Joshua trees reminds me of mine with cypresses - it’s hard to find isolated ones, but when you do, it’s fantastic. I think you’ve got the right amount of separation here and the repeating pattern of the three trees is quite pleasing.

Processing is always subjective, but I think if a natural, soft look is what you want, you’ve hit it. The light is soft and even and works well with the general prickliness of the trees themselves. Bravo for getting this before coffee!

1 Like

Jon, this is a really nice shot. I love the placing of the trees in the frame. And minimal processing is something I strive for too, so well done there.

2 Likes

I agree with you and @David_Bostock on the minimal processing thing. I work 50 hours a week at a computer screen! The last thing I want to do is spend more time processing an image than it took me to enjoy being outside taking it! I love how you described what you did to get the angle you got. It’s a very beautiful composition and you caught the light just right too!

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback @Kris_Smith … I’m finding more and more that a natural ‘soft’ look works well with these types of compositions.

Thanks, @David_Bostock … happy to hear you like the image … and the limited processing.

I hear you @Vanessa_Hill about the excessive time spent in front of a computer … give me more time outdoors taking photos any day. Thanks for the feedback.

I never thought I would say this but in this case the composition looks too good. There is something planned about it that doesn’t sit well with me. The arrangement is too perfect. That’s just my opinion tonight. I do like the colors in the sky though.

Thanks for your feedback @Igor_Doncov … I’m not quite sure how a composition can be ‘too good’. Out of interest, do you prefer the landscape version taken at the same time? Does this feel less planned to you?

Yes. That looks like a more natural distribution of trees within a frame. In fact, I prefer the landscape version of the image.