First Year Purple Martin

We ended up with two banded Martins in our set of six gourds last year and I spent a lot of time trying to get enough information to report the bands. It’s amazing how many images it takes and how the darn thing just never wants to turn right to get that last number or two. I did eventually get all the numbers and get them reported, which is always fun. The sticks were attached to the aluminum rods that come with the kit as perches to provide something more photogenic, but for this purpose, I was just looking for band information. Still I liked this preening pose, so I thought I’d post it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I removed the tail of a bird in the lower right-if you notice anything, please let me know.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does this pose strike a chord?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 451, I don’t recall what support I was using but it was probably a tripod, f/10, 1/500, iso 1000, aperture priority, pattern metering, +2/3 EV to bring out the darks in the Martin. Processed in LR & PS CC. Taken May 2nd, 2018 @ 6:52 am.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A rather unusual pose. Makes me thing of someone rubbing their nose.

That’s one of the strangest poses I’ve ever seen. Not sure what to make of it but it sure made me pause to study it. :smile: