Five Minutes Before the Sun Rises on the Econfina

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The glass-like finish on the waterway demanded a shot.

Technical Details

Nikon D810, Tokina 17-35 @21mm, f/18, 1/80, ISO 640

Most editing done in ACR with some minimal cloning in PS and some color detailing in On1

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Chris, You have captured a lovely moment of stillness. Thanks for sharing it with us!

The glass and the glow are excellent Chris. I would like to see just a bit more on the bottom, and just a touch less of the sky. The equal split feels a bit out of balance to me.

Thanks, Ed. I quibbled with the crop but there was a bit too much dead lily pads in the lower right corner that drew the eye downward. I will go back and see if I can squeeze in a bit more and maybe lose just a tad at the top for a better balance.

Hey Guy. This was shot from a moving boat powered at the time by a single paddle which barely left a wake which nicely emphasized that stillness. Some of my favorite all time shots have been made within two hundred feet of this location.
Econfina WMA

The small green patch at the left in the channel is the actual location…google maps didn’t include my marker.

1 Like

Chris, this is a lovely view, both inviting and chilly. You’ve got excellent color gradations in the sky and its reflection. Including the lilypads adds nicely to the sense of depth.

Thanks, Mark…I am still toying with the crop suggestion by Ed but will likely add more sky than to do a buzzkill on a 50/50 horizon line. I just kinda like it as it is.

1 Like