Day's End

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I am most interested in the overall balance of the warmer tones as well as an evaluation of the visual connection with the images.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Sony a&RMIII 70-200 mm F/4 @ I/100 sec f/16

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Your colors and the shine on the water here are exquisite James. I love the silhouette of the tree line, and the details in the grasses have just enough light. Nice image!

Ed, thank you for your evaluation of the image. I am not sure how my screen , on my new Mac Book APro , shows on other viewers and their screens. Have a good day!

Immediate response: Gorgeous, unusual colors. Unusual because I don’t think I have seen the color behind the lower parts of the trees with such vibrancy. It is a rosy, pink color on my monitor. I’ve seen a similar color many times here in Washington at the ocean at sunrise, but not as bright and vibrant. Oh, I like inclusion of the ducks.

Jim, appreciate your comments and a bit of your background experiences . The colors in this setting were very dynamic and quickly moved through the spectrum , from the warmer tones to the cooler tones. And yes, the ducks did make a timely entrance.

James,
Flat out gorgeous light in this image and serendipity with the ducks making their entrance for you. I love the different shades of warm color you captured here along with the placement of all the elements in this wetland scene. Beautifully done!