Sun Set on the Bog

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a bit of a challenge to isolate the subject from the mass of emerging vegetation and the light was fading fast.

Specific Feedback

any and all are welcomed

Technical Details

Sony a7R M3 with 70-200m lens

7 Likes

Very nice photograph, James. Very simplistic, minimal and yet so powerful. It feels perfect for what it is, it is something you can’t make up. It is nature in all these lines, the colors and gradations. Thanks for sharing this.

WOW! This is drop-dead gorgeous. The shapes are so nice and the reflections have just the right amount of ripples, and the color gradient is wonderful! It’s like the plants are floating in space. My only thought is to wonder about the slightest taming of the light in the UL – probably with the richest results with the Highlights slider in the raw conversion.

Really striking. The gradient alone…

your correct and I have made some slight changes already. The image still needs some work and I will make them before I print. As you have noted the UL needs some " taming" I assume I should darken and maybe try to cool down the temp a bit. Might I try to lighten the UR for a better blend.

Oh no!! The UR is beyond perfect!! (IMHO…) Just the tiniest darkening (maybe… just to have a look) in a gradient from the UL corner. The Highlights slider in raw has an uncanny ability to bring richness to colors while taming highlights. I’d angle the gradient at about 5:00 down from the corner, maybe 4:30.

I love this picture. It looks likes a dance of two groups of dancers. The shapes of the vegetation and how they are angled towards each other is just wonderful. The colors add to the magic.

James: What Diane said! Beautiful color palette and a marvelous comp. Most excellent. >=))>

I love the color gradient along with the graceful lines of the vegetation in this image James. I also like the way they appear to be floating in the air. My only suggestion would be the same as @Diane_Miller about the ULC. This is a very intriguing image.

Thats very nice James. The color gradation is so well done. I think you accomplished your mission of separating it out as well.

Beautiful image. I love the simple images as I feel they can be quite strong visually. You did a wonderful job on this one!