Fjallabak Area/Near Landmannalaugar-Reposts

I’m sharing a few more from the Fjallabak Area near Landmannalaugar. I really love the depths of green here, and the black and greens together. I am share a couple of compositions form the same area and would, as with the last set, love to have your thoughts on which grab your attention the most. There is some variety here, but I hope it’s okay to have them all in this thread.

As always, I’m eager for multiple opinions on processing, cropping, composition possibilities, and any thing else that you think could improve upon what I offer here. Please feel free to say things like this: that vertical comp is just too cut up and weird and dark and I don’t like it at all. I can take it, really.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

A second eye on focus and sharpness never hurts in these near/far compositions.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I wanted to retain the sense of dark, moody greenness, but are any of the three just too darn dark?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
All single frames processed in LR

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Not “too darn dark” for me. I like all three but my reference is 3, although inclusion of the people in 2 almost carries the day for me.

Marylynne: Wonderful place and fine work on a variety of scenes. I think I would rank them 2-3-1. I do like the people in #2 . I like how you handled the clouds in all three. My own personal preference would be to crop away some of the sky in both 2 and 3. It’s interesting but in this proportion I think it competes a bit with the land forms. All three make me want to go there.>=))>

Thanks @Bill_Fach and @Jim_Gavin. I am sharing reposts of each, including a square crop of the first one, which is the least interesting by current “vote.” I really like the impact of less sky in #2 and 3. In the process of cropping the sky, I changed the aspect ratio and made an ever so slight temp adjustment as well. Let me know if I took anything in the wrong direction, subtle as the shifts are.

They each have their own charm Marylynne, but I’ll swim against the stream and say #1 is my favorite. The chaos of the lines just seems to go well with the dark mood of the image overall.

I was a 2, 3, 1 until you cropped #1 square, which I really like. I do like the people in #2 and I think you could actually bring the brightness down a touch on that one. The greens are wonderful. I hope you have some images with the brown toned mountains in #3. Nice work.

Put me down for #3 as my first pick. I love the look at the grand landscape and all its depth. 1 would be in second for me.

3 remains my favorite, but changes make 1 my second choice.

#3 for me. I like the grand view and the light on the slopes. In #2 I find the people are an eye magnet. The rework of #1 is also nice.
-P

Marylynne: I think you’ve improved each image and made a very nice cake even tastier. Wonderful. >=))>

WOW! Your second set with your revisions and crop on #1 are fantastic! I think my favorite is # 3 with 1&2 being equally wonderful but very different. I don’t care for the people being in # 2, but that’s just personal taste. The square crop made a great improvement for # 1 IMHO. I think # 3 could be improved by cloning the road out and by opening the FG shadows a bit as they seem a little overpowering in comparison with the more distant shadows. Also, # 3 might could be cropped from the left a bit (10-12%) to reduce the open feel there. Just throwing out random thoughts, not necessarily actually recommending them.

Thanks, Bill. I have some of #2 without the people, but that just felt like another shot of a green hill :sunglasses:

I’ll look at crops of #3. I was undecided about the road too (and then there is the river beyond that). I think the folks climbing the hill had a nice vantage point of the road winding through the landscape.

ML